Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dennisr
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamics CRM - can we get Display Name of columns rather than Logical Names?

Is there some way to get Display Name of columns rather than Logical Names?

2 REPLIES 2
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Not directly, but maybe if you're really ambitious... If you're connecting to CRM in a way that gives you access to AttributeView you might be able to write some creative M code to replace column names using that. Maybe filter AttributeView by EntityID (you'll have to look up the EntityID for whatever table you're querying. I think the table for that is EntityMap or something like that Edit: haha nope it's EntityView), then pull the Name and PhysicalName columns, and load them into a list, then query the table you actually want, then write a rename columns function that calls that list. It would be a pretty hairy query to write.

Edit edit: though now that I think about it, Display Name doesn't actually map directly to a field. It's per-form. The same field can have multiple different display names depending on the form it's displayed on. Which means this won't work. You'd have to check the mapping for the specific form you want to get the display name for, and I have no idea where that mapping is. But I suspect it's even more inconvenient than what I've already described.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Connecting Power BI to Dynamics online uses ODATA.  So, I don't have access to the SQL tables.  (What is "M code"?)   I found a workaround that uses XrmToolBox to Export to Excel which does use the Display Names defined on the entity fields.  So, rather than a data source that connects directly to Dynamics, it connects to the Excel sheet.  

(I guess I will just need to post an 'idea', to get this feature. 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors