Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IanR
Helper III
Helper III

Dynamics CRM Online User and Team Data

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum - apologies if I haven't chosen the right section.

I am creating reports using data from Dynamics CRM Online. I want to be able to slice measures from the Lead, Contact and Opportunity entities by the data in their Owner and Created By columns. The Owner and Created By columns seem (at least in our installation) to be references to Users and Teams. I thought that would be simple enough, find the user and team tables, extract the columns I need into new queries, create a new query by appending those together and use the result in my model (I say simple - I'm working through 'M is for (Data) Monkey' and their instructions worked with their sample data). My problem is that I can't find the user and team entities. 

The table names that come back in the Navigator when I connect are quite a bit different to the entity names in  CRM. I've found a few which contain the text 'user' or 'team' but I haven't found one yet that contains the data I am seeing in the Owner and Created By columns. Can anybody advise? Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks

Ian

4 REPLIES 4
IanR
Helper III
Helper III

I think I may have cracked it.

I have downloaded the tables SystemUserSer and Team set and at first glance they appear to be what I want.

This was a surprise based on what I saw in the Navigator preview. Can this view be tweaked?

Or, is there a Power BI user's guide to the most useful tables and fields in CRM Online? There are so many of both it's easy to get swamped.

@IanR

This VIDEO by peter schimdt will help you to understand CRM online and PowerBI.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi Bavesh,

Very interesting video, thank you.

The video mentions that the tables in CRM are grouped and delivered to Power BI as sets of related tables. That was a lightbulb moment - and explains some of the disconcerting naming convention. Do you know if there is any documentation that explains what's in these sets? Also, any other videos that cover using Power BI with CRM Online gratefully received.

Thanks

Ian

Hi @IanR,

We can connect to Dynamics CRM Online both in Power BI online and Power BI Desktop. In Power BI Service, we can use Sales Manager and Service Manager content packs. You can take a look at this article to know what's data included: Microsoft Dynamics CRM content pack for Power BI.

In Power BI Desktop, when connecting to Dynamics CRM Online organization database tables appear in the Power BI Desktop Navigator window. For the detail information about database tables, I would suggest you post a thread in Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum to get dedicated support.

Reference:

How to Connect Power BI to Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors