Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bhella

Dynamically expanding all columns with lists

I am processing an API response and there are numerous columns that contains a mixture of lists and nulls. Most (but not all) of these lists are only 1 item long.

The columns returns depend on the search query and I would like to dynamically extract the values from all the lists within all the columns (some columns have no lists). I also would like to extract the contents within the cell (i.e. not creating a row per item), so concatenating items where required.

I.e. first screenshot to second as shown below.

I have the code to dynamically expand all the columns within the record (step 1) but this is the next crucial step that having tested various things I am struggling with. Is anyone able to kindly help?

1st screenshot

Screenshot 2022-05-23 101456.jpg

2nd screenshot

Screenshot 2022-05-23 101938.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bhella

Have worked out a way!

The step that does it is below. 'GetRecordFields' is a list of all distinct columns in every row of records (this varies by row and is expanded in the first step). I have also nested an if statement to check if the cell is a list because otherwise it produces an error for non list values.

List.Transform(GetRecordFields, each { _ , each if Value.Is(_, type list) = true then Text.Combine( _ , ",") else _}))

Full code is below, which also has steps to dynamically change type to text and remove errors which is required for a data flow. The code in the link that @jennratten provided is much more complex but the below should work if you don't have to flatten the json struture.

let
  Source = Json.Document(#"Parameter (3)", 65001),
  Navigation = Source[elementVOList],
  #"Converted to table" = Table.FromList(Navigation, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error), 
  GetRecordFields = let
    #"Added Record Fields" = Table.AddColumn(#"Converted to table", "ColumnNames", each Record.FieldNames([Column1])),
    #"Select ColNames" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Record Fields", {"ColumnNames"}),
    #"Expanded ColNames" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Select ColNames", "ColumnNames"),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Expanded ColNames"),
    ColNames = #"Removed Duplicates"[ColumnNames]
  in
    ColNames,
  #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to table", "Column1", GetRecordFields, GetRecordFields),
  #"Expanded lists" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Expanded Column1", List.Transform(GetRecordFields, each { _ , each if Value.Is(_, type list) = true then Text.Combine( _ , ",") else _})),
  #"Replaced errors" = Table.ReplaceErrorValues(#"Expanded lists", List.Transform(GetRecordFields, each {_, 0})),
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced errors", List.Transform(GetRecordFields, each {_, type text}))  
in
  #"Changed Type"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Bhella

Have worked out a way!

The step that does it is below. 'GetRecordFields' is a list of all distinct columns in every row of records (this varies by row and is expanded in the first step). I have also nested an if statement to check if the cell is a list because otherwise it produces an error for non list values.

List.Transform(GetRecordFields, each { _ , each if Value.Is(_, type list) = true then Text.Combine( _ , ",") else _}))

Full code is below, which also has steps to dynamically change type to text and remove errors which is required for a data flow. The code in the link that @jennratten provided is much more complex but the below should work if you don't have to flatten the json struture.

let
  Source = Json.Document(#"Parameter (3)", 65001),
  Navigation = Source[elementVOList],
  #"Converted to table" = Table.FromList(Navigation, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error), 
  GetRecordFields = let
    #"Added Record Fields" = Table.AddColumn(#"Converted to table", "ColumnNames", each Record.FieldNames([Column1])),
    #"Select ColNames" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Record Fields", {"ColumnNames"}),
    #"Expanded ColNames" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Select ColNames", "ColumnNames"),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Expanded ColNames"),
    ColNames = #"Removed Duplicates"[ColumnNames]
  in
    ColNames,
  #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to table", "Column1", GetRecordFields, GetRecordFields),
  #"Expanded lists" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Expanded Column1", List.Transform(GetRecordFields, each { _ , each if Value.Is(_, type list) = true then Text.Combine( _ , ",") else _})),
  #"Replaced errors" = Table.ReplaceErrorValues(#"Expanded lists", List.Transform(GetRecordFields, each {_, 0})),
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced errors", List.Transform(GetRecordFields, each {_, type text}))  
in
  #"Changed Type"
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors