Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

smathew8
Frequent Visitor

Dynamically computing months column

I have added Pivot steps in my table  and this made my months column (Jan to Jun) appear. The next step am the below query to replace column values using 

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Pivoted Column",null,0,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"JAN", "FEB", "MAR", "APR", "MAY", "JUN", "JUL", "AUG", "SEP", "OCT", "NOV", "DEC"})

The problem here is since I dont have no data from Jul to Dec, the query fails to execute. How do I dynamically make the list of month's appear in the above formula ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @smathew8,

change your pivot function that it pivots not only distict values in your table but more - see screenshot.

Sample data:

Capture.PNG

Your pivot looks similar to mine, right? The List.Distinct ... gives you distict values of the column Month. But you want more.

Capture2.PNG

Therefore you define all the 12 months by yourself. There will be nulls for all months where no values exist.

Capture3.PNG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @smathew8,

change your pivot function that it pivots not only distict values in your table but more - see screenshot.

Sample data:

Capture.PNG

Your pivot looks similar to mine, right? The List.Distinct ... gives you distict values of the column Month. But you want more.

Capture2.PNG

Therefore you define all the 12 months by yourself. There will be nulls for all months where no values exist.

Capture3.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors