Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JQuon
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamically calculate a calendar maintenance table based on a start date

Power BI experts...each report we create has a different refresh schedule (Weekly, Monthly, Qtrly). Is there a way to create a calculated table or calendar that will show all the refresh dates in a year based on "x" date?
For example If I set a baseline date of a report for January 1st that needs to be refreshed monthly, I would like a table that dynamically shows that a refresh is required every 1st of the month for the rest of the year or until x date. Another example is if the start date is February 5th and the frequency is quarters, would like the next quarter refresh to reflect July April 5th.

Is this possible?
2 REPLIES 2
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here is an example of the one for Months.  If it works, you could adapt the approach for weeks and quarters.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, go to Advanced Editor, and replace the text there with the M code below.  This could easily be converted into a function where you could just input the desired start date.

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtI31DcyMDJQio0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}}),
Date = #"Changed Type"{0}[Date],
Custom1 = List.Transform({0..Number.RoundUp(Duration.Days(Date.EndOfYear(Date)-Date)/30)-2}, each Date.AddMonths(Date, _)),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Custom1, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "RefreshDates"}}),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"RefreshDates", type date}})
in
#"Changed Type1"

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thank you for the assistance on this.  This is similar to what I need, but how do I incorporate it in a table with my data. I'dd like to add the future dates in the columns next to each report row.  Is it possible to build a relationship witht he results?

TypeFrequencyStart DateRefresh  1Refresh 2 Refresh 3
Report 1Monthly02/16/2003/16/20????
Report 2Quarterly01/01/2003/01/20????
Report 3Annually06/01/2006/01/21????

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors