Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic transform - columnizing row data

Dear Everyone,

I am not sure if this is feasible, and I am guessing it will be heavy, row by row transformation with a custom M function, but I would like to get some ideas, as how to approach a problem I am currently facing. I will add the example below with mock data.

In short, one ID can have multiple properties with values associated to them. Each ID can have a different number of properties, listed in changing order, but with matching names (!). I would like to reduce the number of rows and expand the number of columns, meaning, one ID is in one row and each property name becomes a header, with a value assigned to it. This feels a bit similar to pivoting, but it is not exactly pivoting and due to the changing number of properties, it is also dynamic.

I would massively appreciate any help, as I am unsure how to approach this or even search on it. Thanks!

Transform.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try this m code:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXJOLElNzy+qBDLdixIz84qVYnWgMqVFRal5ySCZ0GAXhHB+aV5JUaVCcEZmQW5qXomCf1FmemYeUMapKLEqMweuMNTfF0j6hoAFjFCtck4sKkaIY1pkhNciz7yC0hKwOmNUY93y81MQ4ghjXUODlGJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, #"Category Name" = _t, Values = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Category Name", type text}, {"Values", type text}}),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type"[#"Category Name"]), "Category Name", "Values")
in
#"Pivoted Column"

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try this m code:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXJOLElNzy+qBDLdixIz84qVYnWgMqVFRal5ySCZ0GAXhHB+aV5JUaVCcEZmQW5qXomCf1FmemYeUMapKLEqMweuMNTfF0j6hoAFjFCtck4sKkaIY1pkhNciz7yC0hKwOmNUY93y81MQ4ghjXUODlGJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, #"Category Name" = _t, Values = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Category Name", type text}, {"Values", type text}}),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type"[#"Category Name"]), "Category Name", "Values")
in
#"Pivoted Column"

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @camargos88 this is the right direction, but the harder part is to make this dynamic, meaning each ID can have a different number of Properties, ordered in a changing way, so the columns should pick them up in the right order. Right now, a single pivot step will lead to the correct structure, but the columns will have mixed values, from other columns.

I will provide an example of this below.

IDProperty NameValue
1CountryBrazil
1Currency USD 
2CurrencyEUR
2ProductRice
2CountryChina

-->

IDCurrencyProductCountry
1  Brazil
2EURRiceChina

H @Anonymous ,

I didn't get your point. ID's can have more than 1 same properties, like ID 1 has 2 countries ?

If no, the pivot will handle the correct transformation with the values.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, sorry, you are right - I was confused by the actual values in the data, as a column had very different values and I thought those are values from different fields that should not be in 1 column.

I did not expect pivoting to also recognize all the columns correctly, but it looks like it does.

Hi @Anonymous ,

I pivot the "Property" column and returns the following result.

4-1.PNG

So how do you manage "Currency USD"? You could share your thoughts here.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors