Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wkmaylish
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic datasource issue with loop. NOT Web Contents

I am trying to setup data set that could help us document our data warehouse and Power Bi environments. 

I am currently working on pulling in system info from analysis services and am running into an issue with a dynamic datasource.  In my attempt to make my life easier I created a loop that would loop through a list of cubes and pull all of the data together into one query (instead of creating 20+ queries and another to union them together).It didnt hit me that this would be dynamic until I published. 

Is there anyway to do this without having to create a query for each table? 

Thanks for the help.

Bare bones version of the M code. 

let
DataCatalog = {"Cube1", "Cube2", "Cube3"},

FnGetOnePage = 
    (i) as record =>
    let    
    CatalogTables =  AnalysisServices.Database("{Server Address}", 
    List.First(List.Range(DataCatalog,i,1)), [Query="Select * from $System.TMSCHEMA_PARTITIONS"]),           
    CatalogTables2 = Table.AddColumn(CatalogTables,"Dataset", each  List.First(List.Range(DataCatalog,i,1))),
    res = [Data=CatalogTables2, Next = i+1 ]    
    in
    res,    

GeneratedList =
  List.Generate(
      ()=>[i=0,res=FnGetOnePage(i)],
      each [res][Next]<= List.Count(DataCatalog),
      each [i=[i]+1,res=FnGetOnePage([res][Next])],
      each [res][Data] )    
in
    GeneratedList

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Here's how I would approach it.  Create a simple table out of the list of the cubes you want to query, and then run the query inside an added column. (Note: only one cube shown in this example)

let
    Server = "localhost:62185",
    Databases = #table({"Name"},{{"15aa750e-d54b-4902-85f5-6c5b44698a7f"}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Databases, "Meta", each AnalysisServices.Database(Server, [Name], [Query="Select * from $System.TMSCHEMA_PARTITIONS"])),
    #"Expanded Meta" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Meta", {"Name", "QueryDefinition"}, {"Name.1", "QueryDefinition"})
in 
    #"Expanded Meta"

lbendlin_0-1635300532512.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Here's how I would approach it.  Create a simple table out of the list of the cubes you want to query, and then run the query inside an added column. (Note: only one cube shown in this example)

let
    Server = "localhost:62185",
    Databases = #table({"Name"},{{"15aa750e-d54b-4902-85f5-6c5b44698a7f"}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Databases, "Meta", each AnalysisServices.Database(Server, [Name], [Query="Select * from $System.TMSCHEMA_PARTITIONS"])),
    #"Expanded Meta" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Meta", {"Name", "QueryDefinition"}, {"Name.1", "QueryDefinition"})
in 
    #"Expanded Meta"

lbendlin_0-1635300532512.png

Thanks for the reply. I gave it a try and am able to pull back data in PBI Desktop but it still gives me a dynamic dataset error once I publish. I am going to look into pulling this data into our data warehouse somehow. 

You can run your DMV queries from Powershell scripts if you want.

How to Extract SSAS DMV Data using PowerShell - sqlitybi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors