Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic URL Parameters

Hi Everyone,

Relative newbie to Power Bi so thank you for any of the help.

Working on a fun project for myself just to learn Power Bi and have gotten myself stumped.

I'm playing around with some data from URL for some video game data using the URL below as my data source.

https://esi.evetech.net/latest/markets/10000002/history/?datasource=tranquility&type_id=34

The "10000002" is linked a orders in a region, and the "34" is linked to an item in the game. Changing those variables changes the data pulled. I've set up two text parameters under the advanced tab in the Data Source Settings. I've set them to pull and have it working so that if change 34 to 35 it changes the data set (this is exactly what I want).

I have a list of all regions in the game along with the respective region names, and I also have a list of all item numbers along with their respective items.

I would like to be able to set up a filter that dynamically changes the URL based on that filter. Is that possible? So for example if 34 is Tritanium, and 35 is Pyerite (in game items) - I'd like to be able to search for Pyerite and have the URL change the 34 to a 35 and update my visuals autmatically. Like I Said before I have this working by manually typing in the Item number but would like it a bit easier to use.

Is this even possible? Any pointers  in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

let
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://esi.evetech.net/latest/markets/" & Region & "/history/?datasource=tranquility&type_id=" & #"Item number")),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"average", "date", "highest", "lowest", "order_count", "volume"}, {"Column1.average", "Column1.date", "Column1.highest", "Column1.lowest", "Column1.order_count", "Column1.volume"})
in
    #"Expanded Column1"

Here is what is currently in the advanced editor. I'm just trying to get a way to edit the Region and Item Number by using a attribute filter in the visual itself. Not sure if this is possible or where to start.

Thanks again for reading.

@Anonymous,

It seems that you want to pass the value in the filter of Power BI report to the source URL. If that is the case, it is not possible. 

You can create item number parameter and region parameter in Power BI Desktop query Editor, for the parameter, you can provide a list of value or get the parameter values from a query. Then you are able to choose different value in dropdown of parameter to change source URL.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the response. This is what I was finding in the various places I looked on the internet but I appreciate you confirming it was not possible.

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors