Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GoatTracker
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Columns duplicating

I've got the following formula however, it duplicates exisitng data when I expand the table, how can I prevent it from doing this as it creates hundreds of thousands of rows. thanks in advance.

= List.Accumulate({1..20}, #"Expanded Date Dimension1", (s,c) => Table.AddColumn(s, "Column"&Text.From(c), each if [MonthStart]<=0 and [MonthEnd]>=0 then "x" else "y"))
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @GoatTracker ,
then you have to use a complete different approach, as you started with a cartesian product already:

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Task", type text}, {"Start", type date}, {"End", type date}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Start"}, #"Date Dimension", {"FullDateAlternateKey"}, "Date Dimension", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Added MonthStart" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Date Dimension", {"MonthStart"}, {"MonthStart"}),
    #"Merged Queries1" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added MonthStart", {"End"}, #"Date Dimension", {"FullDateAlternateKey"}, "Date Dimension", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Date Dimension" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries1", "Date Dimension", {"MonthStart"}, {"MonthEnd"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Date Dimension", "Custom", each Record.Combine(List.Transform({1..20}, (l) => Record.AddField([], "Column" & Text.From(l), if [MonthStart]<=0 and [MonthEnd]>=0 then "x" else "y") ))),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", "Column14", "Column15", "Column16", "Column17", "Column18", "Column19", "Column20"}, {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", "Column14", "Column15", "Column16", "Column17", "Column18", "Column19", "Column20"})
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @GoatTracker ,
great! And yes, I had no idea what kind of logic you wanted to implement there. 

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @GoatTracker ,
then you have to use a complete different approach, as you started with a cartesian product already:

let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Task", type text}, {"Start", type date}, {"End", type date}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Start"}, #"Date Dimension", {"FullDateAlternateKey"}, "Date Dimension", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Added MonthStart" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Date Dimension", {"MonthStart"}, {"MonthStart"}),
    #"Merged Queries1" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added MonthStart", {"End"}, #"Date Dimension", {"FullDateAlternateKey"}, "Date Dimension", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Date Dimension" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries1", "Date Dimension", {"MonthStart"}, {"MonthEnd"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Date Dimension", "Custom", each Record.Combine(List.Transform({1..20}, (l) => Record.AddField([], "Column" & Text.From(l), if [MonthStart]<=0 and [MonthEnd]>=0 then "x" else "y") ))),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", "Column14", "Column15", "Column16", "Column17", "Column18", "Column19", "Column20"}, {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", "Column14", "Column15", "Column16", "Column17", "Column18", "Column19", "Column20"})
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

Hi @ImkeF 

That resolved the row issue, many thanks.

I'll need to work on resolving the formula as it only applies an "x" to the first row across all columns, then a "y" to the remaining column rows.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @GoatTracker ,
thanks, that helps.
May I ask what the desired result looks like? How many rows and columns do you expect?

Hi @ImkeF 

From my example I'd expect only the 10 rows.

The quantity of columns would be the existing table+ 20 dynamic columns.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @GoatTracker ,
sure - if you provide a file with some sample data I could then show you the solution on that model.

Hi @ImkeF ,

I have attached the basic table with 10 rows, the code below blows this out to over 1.3 million rows once I expend the table, so I haven't done this part in the example 🙂

Here is the example file: Example File 

Thank you for your time.

let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Date Dimension", "Custom", each List.Accumulate({1..20}, #"Expanded Date Dimension", (s,c) => Table.AddColumn(s, "Column"&Text.From(c), each if [MonthStart]<=0 and [MonthEnd]>=0 then "x" else "y")))
in
    #"Added Custom"

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @GoatTracker ,
you have to include the expansion of the newly created column in the List.Accumulate-function (last parameter itself). So that the next column will be added after the previous one has been expanded.

Hi @ImkeF 

Thank you for your response, I don't understand what you are recommending sorry, can you elaborate please? 

When I select the table to expend and select the new columns (only), this is when it duplicated the existing rows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors