Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Column Names in a table visual for a measure

Hello Everyone,

I am new to PBI and am having trouble in getting the below done.

Want to dynamically name the measure name from the output of the calculation.

I have table visual with 5 measures, and I want to be able to rename them dynamically. Please See the screenshot below, where I have hardcoded the column names but I want them to be dynamic.

jay5300_0-1595574655110.png

say my DAX reads

YEARNUMBER=YEAR("March 3, 2020 3:45 PM") and the result is 2020 and i want the measure name to be 2020 INSTEAD of YEARNUMBER.

Any help is really appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Smauro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous, what you're asking is not possible. A measure's (or calculated column's, or column's) name is a constant text, existing in the json which defines everything available in the tabular model.

What you can do though, is create just one measure which will also take into account the selected year, and use a matrix visual, adding 'Year' in columns.

Feel free to connect with me:
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous , 

As mentioned above, when you put data in Table visual, the field name will be the table column header name. It can't be changed dynamically, you could submit this in ideas . 

If you want to column show it based on date, you could chage your data structure(power query , unpivoy your data) like below(put name in Row, year in Column, amoun in Value in Matrix, then column name is 2018, 2019, 2020)

name year amout

a 2020 2
a 2019 3
a 2018 5
b 2020 2
b 2019 6
b 2018 3

If possible could you please inform me more detailed information(such as your expected output and your sample data )? Then I will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous , 

As mentioned above, when you put data in Table visual, the field name will be the table column header name. It can't be changed dynamically, you could submit this in ideas . 

If you want to column show it based on date, you could chage your data structure(power query , unpivoy your data) like below(put name in Row, year in Column, amoun in Value in Matrix, then column name is 2018, 2019, 2020)

name year amout

a 2020 2
a 2019 3
a 2018 5
b 2020 2
b 2019 6
b 2018 3

If possible could you please inform me more detailed information(such as your expected output and your sample data )? Then I will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Smauro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous, what you're asking is not possible. A measure's (or calculated column's, or column's) name is a constant text, existing in the json which defines everything available in the tabular model.

What you can do though, is create just one measure which will also take into account the selected year, and use a matrix visual, adding 'Year' in columns.

Feel free to connect with me:
LinkedIn

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

I am not sure if It is possible to do so but, you can create a measure that shows all the years selected and show in a card visual above the table or use the Visual Title to include the dynamically selected values using Conditional Formatting.

Did I answer your question? Mark this post as a solution, this will help others!.

I accept KUDOS 🙂

YouTube, LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors