Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpeters65

Duplicate values after Group By

Refresh fails with message "Column 'Restart Cause' in Table 'new_sort' contains a duplicate value [redacted for company privacy reasons] and this is not allowed for columns on the one side of a many-to-one relationship or for columns that are used as the primary key of a table."

But this shouldn't be possible, because the Restart Cause column is the result of a Group By:
= Table.Group(Source, {"Restart Cause"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), Int64.Type}})

By definition, Group By's should result in no duplications. As a workaround to this odd Power BI behavior, I added another step to remove duplicates, even there shouldn't be any:

= Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Duplicates", "Order", 1, 1, Int64.Type)

= Table.Distinct(#"Sorted Rows", {"Restart Cause"})

Even after that I'm still getting the error during apply or refresh!

Full steps in case it's relevant:

= Table.Group(Source, {"Restart Cause"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), Int64.Type}})

= Table.Sort(#"Grouped Rows",{{"Count", Order.Descending}})

= Table.Distinct(#"Sorted Rows", {"Restart Cause"})

= Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Duplicates", "Order", 1, 1, Int64.Type)

EDIT: copy/pasted the wrong step.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Not sure if this applies here but when I see issues like this it is because M is case sensitive while DAX is not.  If you use UPPER or lower case of the column before you group, you will be sure to get rid of duplicates.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Not sure if this applies here but when I see issues like this it is because M is case sensitive while DAX is not.  If you use UPPER or lower case of the column before you group, you will be sure to get rid of duplicates.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thank you mahoneypat! I didn't realize that DAX is case-insensitive.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors