Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tank104
Regular Visitor

Does Power BI gateway for enterprise deployments support MultiDimesnion SQL Server 2012 sp3

Hi,

Can you please let us know if the Enterprise Gateway that is currently downloadable should be able to support multi-dimensional models, or is it just Tabular.  Documentation on the Microsoft website isn’t clear, as some pages say just Tabular, and others imply both.

If it doesn’t do you have an ETA when it will?

When doing testing we get this result with Multi-Dimensional connection:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to XXXXX\SQL. Details: "The gateway does not support the specified data source. Please make sure you have installed the latest version of the gateway."Hide details

Activity ID:

8bacedce-f109-4cc8-c4f9-34e0c84090a6

Request ID:

76526f37-4319-e033-fddf-d7fc60c5e736

Cluster URI:

https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Status code:

Error Code:

DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_UnsupportedServerVersion

Time:

Mon Mar 21 2016 18:24:41 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Version:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If anyone else has this issue, it was that my SSAS didn't have SP1 CU-4 or above.

I am really embarrassed about this. I checked the SQL Server Version to make sure that SP3 was there already which it was, but because we installed SSAS afterwards it didn’t install with SP3, and I didn’t think to check.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@tank104 As per the article here, Power BI Enterprise Gateway supports multidimensional model though I have only test out with tabular. Try installing the latest version of Gateway from the Power BI website.

Thats what we saw too, but another article:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-analysis-services-connector-indepth/...

says in the FAQ:

Question: Can I use the Analysis Services Connector to connect to a Multidimensional (OLAP) instance.

Answer: No. This is not supported at this time.

Hoping that article is older, but its not clear.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @tank104.

The enterprise gateway does support on-premise live MD connection and works surprisingly well. The authetication also works like a dream.

Br. Olli

Great thanks @Anonymous - that makes me really excited, now I just need to figure out the issue.

Any ideas?  i have the latest plugin installed (yesterdays) but get the following error:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to XXXXX\SQL. Details: "The gateway does not support the specified data source. Please make sure you have installed the latest version of the gateway."Hide details

Activity ID:

8bacedce-f109-4cc8-c4f9-34e0c84090a6

Request ID:

76526f37-4319-e033-fddf-d7fc60c5e736

Cluster URI:

https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Status code:

Error Code:

DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_UnsupportedServerVersion

Time:

Mon Mar 21 2016 18:24:41 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Version:

I can see activity being run against SSAS in Query Profiler, and it looks to have associated my domain login from PowerBI with my onsite active directory.

If anyone else has this issue, it was that my SSAS didn't have SP1 CU-4 or above.

I am really embarrassed about this. I checked the SQL Server Version to make sure that SP3 was there already which it was, but because we installed SSAS afterwards it didn’t install with SP3, and I didn’t think to check.

hey

can someone please post a list or link of supported SQL server versions and service packs for connecting to MD models.

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @tank104.

Sorry for the late reply.

The MD connection requires Enterprise or Business Intelligence edition of SQL Server Analysis Services. Is that it?

Br. Olli

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors