Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cubist
Advocate II
Advocate II

Does Enterprise Gateway have a 2 server minimum?

I'm trying to setup a simple test bed that will allow Power BI to talk to SSAS using enterprise gateway.

it is really necessary to have two servers for this?  From what I've read the gateway requires a AD domain controller to work, and the gateway cannot run on a domain controller.

So this means the minimum is setting up one AD domain server, and one SSAS server with the gateway installed.

Am I over complicating this?  It's a lot of virtual machine setup for a laptop to be able to test Power BI end to end.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Cubist

In fact, if you want to use the entreprise gateway with SSAS in direct query mode, you need to have an entreprise AD synchronized with your Azure AD. So you need a domain controller because when you use the Power BI Report in Power BI Service, the gateway will pass you Power BI login as the EffectiveUserName, which will be checked against the entreprise AD UPN. So, you cannot simply use a local account user will SSAS.

And your right, as Entreprise Gateway Domain Controller installation is not supported, I'm afraid that the only way to achieve your test, is having two servers, one for the domain controller, and the other one for SSAS and the Gateway.

Sebastien

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Cubist

In fact, if you want to use the entreprise gateway with SSAS in direct query mode, you need to have an entreprise AD synchronized with your Azure AD. So you need a domain controller because when you use the Power BI Report in Power BI Service, the gateway will pass you Power BI login as the EffectiveUserName, which will be checked against the entreprise AD UPN. So, you cannot simply use a local account user will SSAS.

And your right, as Entreprise Gateway Domain Controller installation is not supported, I'm afraid that the only way to achieve your test, is having two servers, one for the domain controller, and the other one for SSAS and the Gateway.

Sebastien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors