cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cubist Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Does Enterprise Gateway have a 2 server minimum?

I'm trying to setup a simple test bed that will allow Power BI to talk to SSAS using enterprise gateway.

it is really necessary to have two servers for this?  From what I've read the gateway requires a AD domain controller to work, and the gateway cannot run on a domain controller.

So this means the minimum is setting up one AD domain server, and one SSAS server with the gateway installed.

Am I over complicating this?  It's a lot of virtual machine setup for a laptop to be able to test Power BI end to end.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sebastien Member

Re: Does Enterprise Gateway have a 2 server minimum?

Hello @Cubist

In fact, if you want to use the entreprise gateway with SSAS in direct query mode, you need to have an entreprise AD synchronized with your Azure AD. So you need a domain controller because when you use the Power BI Report in Power BI Service, the gateway will pass you Power BI login as the EffectiveUserName, which will be checked against the entreprise AD UPN. So, you cannot simply use a local account user will SSAS.

And your right, as Entreprise Gateway Domain Controller installation is not supported, I'm afraid that the only way to achieve your test, is having two servers, one for the domain controller, and the other one for SSAS and the Gateway.

Sebastien

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Sebastien Member

Re: Does Enterprise Gateway have a 2 server minimum?

Hello @Cubist

In fact, if you want to use the entreprise gateway with SSAS in direct query mode, you need to have an entreprise AD synchronized with your Azure AD. So you need a domain controller because when you use the Power BI Report in Power BI Service, the gateway will pass you Power BI login as the EffectiveUserName, which will be checked against the entreprise AD UPN. So, you cannot simply use a local account user will SSAS.

And your right, as Entreprise Gateway Domain Controller installation is not supported, I'm afraid that the only way to achieve your test, is having two servers, one for the domain controller, and the other one for SSAS and the Gateway.

Sebastien

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in 2020

New Ranks and Rank Icons in 2020

Read the announcement for more information!

New Kudos Given Badges Coming

New Kudos Given Badges Coming

We're rolling out new Kudos Given badges. Find out how many Kudos you've given.

November 2019 Community Highlights

November 2019 Community Highlights

Get an overview of the events and great community content from November.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)