Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

denishdens
Frequent Visitor

Do I need a power Bi premium licence to embed power BI reports into an internal application?

We have one or two Power BI reports that we would like to publish to a group of decision makers within our organisation as well as sometime external clients on a monthly basis using our existing CMS which is hosted internally.

Just for your information, 

* We will be using on-prem Data and most likely will have two power Users who would produce the reports and publish to power Bi app.

* Once the reports are published, we would then embed reports in our existing CMS website / custom built intranet (Which will be password protected [Simple authentication] and only allowed users can access) 

Issues: we do not want to use publish to internet option due to the confidentiality of the data nor use IFRAME as internal users can share the link among peers. Therefore we decided to use Power BI API and create a custom page to embed the report. 

We are happy to procure all the viewer users on Pro licence. Also, this is a montly report and most likely 20/30 users will access it perhaps one session per day. 

I am not sure what would be our licencing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @denishdens,

Licensing requirements for embedded analytics
Two elements are required to take embedded analytics to production. First, Power BI Pro licenses are required for administration, content publishing, and development. Then, Power BI Premium is required for testing and deployment.
Development
Development requires a Power BI Pro license for each developer on the team. Anyone using the Power BI APIs is required to have a Power BI Pro license. Power BI Pro licenses contain all APIs and can be used to develop a full proof of concept.
Pre-production and production
For testing and deployment, Power BI Premium must be acquired. Power BI Premium enables full testing of the solution with embed tokens that allow multi-user access to the embedded Power BI reports and dashboards. When deploying to a production environment, options include using the same Power BI Premium capacity used for pre-production or a dedicated capacity for pre-production and another for production.

If you still have any questions, feel free to post here. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

To my best understanding:

You will need the Power BI Premium license if you want to use the Embedded functionality. You will only need PRO licences for the users who will publish reports. The users who only consume the report will be covered by the premium licence. Also check out this documentation: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-premium/. 

@Anonymous wrote:

To my best understanding:

You will need the Power BI Premium license if you want to use the Embedded functionality. You will only need PRO licences for the users who will publish reports. The users who only consume the report will be covered by the premium licence. Also check out this documentation: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-premium/. 

Hi is it still right? do I still need a premium license?

For such a small scale, we would need to pay over $6000 a month. This is so pathetic 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some cheaper version are announced, see https://aka.ms/pbiewhitepaper. The entry level starts at $625 per month. 

What about development environment? Do we need this licence or can I just use Pro licence for Development

Hi @denishdens,

Licensing requirements for embedded analytics
Two elements are required to take embedded analytics to production. First, Power BI Pro licenses are required for administration, content publishing, and development. Then, Power BI Premium is required for testing and deployment.
Development
Development requires a Power BI Pro license for each developer on the team. Anyone using the Power BI APIs is required to have a Power BI Pro license. Power BI Pro licenses contain all APIs and can be used to develop a full proof of concept.
Pre-production and production
For testing and deployment, Power BI Premium must be acquired. Power BI Premium enables full testing of the solution with embed tokens that allow multi-user access to the embedded Power BI reports and dashboards. When deploying to a production environment, options include using the same Power BI Premium capacity used for pre-production or a dedicated capacity for pre-production and another for production.

If you still have any questions, feel free to post here. Smiley Happy

Regards

What Exacately needed licences for power bi reports embed into java based application . In detail

what is diff b/e azure and azure active directory  which one is neededed  for power bi embed. what is the licence i have to take for power bi embeded.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I embeded a report from one of my premium workspaces to SharePoint but only Pro users can see the report in SharePoint. Premium users are getting a "You need a Pro license to view the report" message. Is there a step that I've missed?

Thanks!

-Winnie

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's mentioned in the paper I've mentioned in my previous post. I would advice you read it as it's only 4 pages 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors