Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Displaying opposite/reverse of sliced dates

Hi.

I have a table where a row shows a school, a start date of having a canteen at the school, a finish date of having a canteen at the school, and the type of canteen.  When I slice on specific dates I would like to show, which schools do not have a canteen on the specific dates (i.e. the opposite).

I have the following example, where there exists schools A, B, C, D, and E.

School        |        Start          |     Finish         |      Type of canteen
A                |  01.01.2020       | 15.01.2020     |               1
A                |  01.01.2019       | 15.01.2019     |               1
A                |  01.01.2020       | 30.03.2020     |               2
B                |  01.01.2019       | 15.01.2019     |               1
C                |      null              | null                 |             null
D                |  01.01.2020      |15.01.2020       |              2
D                |  01.12.2019      |  01.02.2020     |              1
E                 |      null             |  null                |             null

If I slice on the 2nd of January 2020, schools B, C and E should be shown. If I slice on the third of March, schools B, C, D, and E should be shown. And of course, If I slice on the 1st of January 2018 all schools should be shown.  

I hope you can help me!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Create the source table name:"t1"

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTIwVPBKzCtNLKpUMDIwMgCKGJpiiCjF6mBRbWiJrhoigl012CRjAwXfxKLkDBjfCKzWiSSTnYEsKAJxXYj0hBGyapfU5NTcpNQimMlAIbfUpCJMT7siWRYLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [School = _t, Start = _t, Finish = _t, Type = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"School", type text}, {"Start", type date}, {"Finish", type date}, {"Type", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

2. A date table(Calendar):Calculated table name it Date.(Use Modelling tab to add New Table Paste below Dax

Date = CALENDAR(DATE(2018,1,1),MAX(t1[Finish]))

3. create a table "School" using below dax:

School = DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(t1,"School",t1[School]))

4.Create a measure 

Measure = 
var t2=SELECTCOLUMNS(t1,"sc",t1[School],"Flag",IF(ISBLANK(t1[Finish]),FALSE(),t1[Finish]>= SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date])&&t1[Start]<= SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date])))
return
SWITCH(TRUE(),NOT(SELECTEDVALUE(School[School])) in SELECTCOLUMNS(filter(t2,[Flag]=TRUE()),"sc",[sc]),1,0)

5. Apply this measure in visual filter as below screenshot

s.3.3.20203.3.20202.1.20202.1.2020New table and Filter pane selected date 1.1..2018New table and Filter pane selected date 1.1..2018

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

j1.png

Calendar(a calculated table):

Calendar = CALENDAR(DATE(2018,1,1),DATE(2020,12,31))

There is no relationship between two tables. You may create a measure as below.

Visual Control = 
var _mindate = 
CALCULATE(
    MIN('Calendar'[Date]),
    ALLSELECTED('Calendar')
)
var _maxdate = 
CALCULATE(
    MAX('Calendar'[Date]),
    ALLSELECTED('Calendar')
)
var _start = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Start])
var _end = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[End])
return
IF(
    OR(
        OR(
                _end<_mindate,
                _start>_maxdate
        ),
        ISBLANK(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Type of canteen]))
    ),
)

Then you need to put the measure in the visual level filter to get the result.

j2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Allan.

I looked at the pbix file. When I tried to slice on the 2.nd of January School A appeared, which it should not.

Kind Regards

Louise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Create the source table name:"t1"

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTIwVPBKzCtNLKpUMDIwMgCKGJpiiCjF6mBRbWiJrhoigl012CRjAwXfxKLkDBjfCKzWiSSTnYEsKAJxXYj0hBGyapfU5NTcpNQimMlAIbfUpCJMT7siWRYLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [School = _t, Start = _t, Finish = _t, Type = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"School", type text}, {"Start", type date}, {"Finish", type date}, {"Type", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

2. A date table(Calendar):Calculated table name it Date.(Use Modelling tab to add New Table Paste below Dax

Date = CALENDAR(DATE(2018,1,1),MAX(t1[Finish]))

3. create a table "School" using below dax:

School = DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(t1,"School",t1[School]))

4.Create a measure 

Measure = 
var t2=SELECTCOLUMNS(t1,"sc",t1[School],"Flag",IF(ISBLANK(t1[Finish]),FALSE(),t1[Finish]>= SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date])&&t1[Start]<= SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date])))
return
SWITCH(TRUE(),NOT(SELECTEDVALUE(School[School])) in SELECTCOLUMNS(filter(t2,[Flag]=TRUE()),"sc",[sc]),1,0)

5. Apply this measure in visual filter as below screenshot

s.3.3.20203.3.20202.1.20202.1.2020New table and Filter pane selected date 1.1..2018New table and Filter pane selected date 1.1..2018

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

This worked perfectly! Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For date range use this measure:

Measure = 
var t2=SELECTCOLUMNS(t1,"sc",t1[School],"Flag",IF(ISBLANK(t1[Finish]),FALSE(),(MIN('Date'[Date])<=t1[Finish] && t1[Finish] >= MAX('Date'[Date]))||(MIN('Date'[Date])<=t1[Start] && t1[Start]>= MAX('Date'[Date]))))
var t3=SELECTCOLUMNS(t1,"sc",t1[School],"Flag",IF(ISBLANK(t1[Finish]),FALSE(),t1[Type]= SELECTEDVALUE(t1[Type])))

return
SWITCH(TRUE(),NOT(SELECTEDVALUE(School[School])) in SELECTCOLUMNS(filter(t2,[Flag]=TRUE()),"sc",[sc])  &&  NOT(SELECTEDVALUE(School[School])) in SELECTCOLUMNS(filter(t3,[Flag]=TRUE()),"sc",[sc]),1,0)

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous : To include the canteen selection in the report

Change the Measure with below code NowC7.PNG:

Measure = 

var t3=SELECTCOLUMNS(t1,"sc",t1[School],"Flag",IF(ISBLANK(t1[Finish]),FALSE(),t1[Type]= SELECTEDVALUE(t1[Type])))

return
SWITCH(TRUE(),NOT(SELECTEDVALUE(School[School])) in SELECTCOLUMNS(filter(t2,[Flag]=TRUE()),"sc",[sc])  &&  NOT(SELECTEDVALUE(School[School])) in SELECTCOLUMNS(filter(t3,[Flag]=TRUE()),"sc",[sc]),1,0)

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

try using this function:

let 
    notCanteen=(d)=> Text.Combine( List.Distinct(Table.SelectRows(school, each d<[Start] or d>[Finish])[School]), ",") 

in
    notCanteen

image.png

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

You selected the 2nd of January and are shown schools A, B, and D, but I wanted schools B, C, and E to be shown? 
The slicing of the dates should also be in the report and not in the PowerQuery editor.

Kind Regards
Louise

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

I corrected the script to match you data

image.png

have a look at the last post

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

you have to create a row for every day the canteen is open. This you can achive creating a list of dates of every row (so list contains the days when the canteen is open) and expand them to new rows. Here an example how this looks like

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTIw1AMiIwMg09AUwVSK1UGWN7SEy0OYaPJgTcYGegbGEKYRWN6JgH5nIAuKYFzszoEY5wKRNzSCmAFSaoTsXFck42IB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [School = _t, Start = _t, Finish = _t, Type = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"School", type text}, {"Start", type date, "de-DE"}, {"Finish", type date, "de-DE"}, {"Type", Int64.Type}}),
    AddListOfDates = Table.AddColumn
    (
        #"Changed Type",
        "Dates",
        (add)=> if add[Start]<> null and add[Finish]<> null then List.Dates(add[Start], Duration.Days(add[Finish]-add[Start])+1, #duration(1,0,0,0)) else null
    ),
    ExpandToRows = Table.ExpandListColumn(AddListOfDates, "Dates")
in
    ExpandToRows

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.
If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jimmy801 

This helps me showing the schools which have an open canteen the specific dates, yes.

However, what I am looking for is the schools which do NOT have a canteen open those specific dates.

Kind Regards Louise

Hi @Anonymous 

I didn't see that 🙂

Here now an example for the closed dates. You have however to specify somewhere the date range. I did that in the step ListOfDatesForEvaluation 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTIw1AMiIwMg09AUwVSK1UGWN7SEy0OYaPJgTcYGegbGEKYRWN6JgH5nIAuKYFzszoEY5wKRNzSCmAFSaoTsXFck42IB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [School = _t, Start = _t, Finish = _t, Type = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"School", type text}, {"Start", type date, "de-DE"}, {"Finish", type date, "de-DE"}, {"Type", Int64.Type}}),
    ListOfDatesForEvaluation = List.Dates(#date(2018,1,1), 1200,#duration(1,0,0,0)),
    AddListOfDates = Table.AddColumn
    (
        #"Changed Type",
        "Dates closed",
        (add)=> if add[Start]<> null and add[Finish]<> null then List.Difference(ListOfDatesForEvaluation, List.Dates(add[Start], Duration.Days(add[Finish]-add[Start])+1, #duration(1,0,0,0))) else ListOfDatesForEvaluation
    ),
    ExpandToRows = Table.ExpandListColumn(AddListOfDates, "Dates closed")
in
    ExpandToRows

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jimmy801 

It almost worked. The thing is when I slice on the 2nd of January school A, shows up (due to row A,  01.01.2019, 15.01.2019, 1).

Kind Regards Louise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok.

try this now

let 
    notCanteen=(d)=>
    let 
    schools=List.Distinct(school[School]),
    snic=Text.Combine( List.Difference(schools,List.Distinct(Table.SelectRows(school, each d>[Start] and d<[Finish])[School])), ",") 
    in snic
in
    notCanteen

school is the name of the query containing your table

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

This worked!!
However, it is the end-user of the reports who are supposed to slice the dates (which means the slicing cannot happen in the Power Query editor)...

Hi @Anonymous 

therefore you need the table as I was stating. A table that has for every combination School/Type Canteen/and days off a row. Then the end-user is able to filter this in a visual

Hope that helps

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

<<..

This worked!!
However, it is the end-user of the reports who are supposed to slice the dates (which means the slicing cannot happen in the Power Query editor)...

..>>

Hi @Anonymous 

having posted the problem in the power Query section, I thought we needed a solution in the power query context.
I don't understand which interface you are referring to.
If you explain the details of what you expect, someone (probably not me) can help you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

it is just a workaround of what I understood from your "specs"

let
    notCanteen=(d)=>
    let 
    schools=List.Distinct(school[School]),
    nc=Text.Combine( List.Difference(schools,List.Distinct(Table.SelectRows(school, each d>[Start] and d<[Finish])[School])), ",") 
    in nc,

Source = Table.FromValue(notCanteen),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Day", each {1..31}),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Month", each {1..12}),
    #"Expanded Day" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Day"),
    #"Expanded Month" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded Day", "Month"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Month", "nic", each [Value](#date(2020,[Month],[Day]))),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Day] = 2) and ([Month] = 1))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

in this query you (or you user) can filter the day and the month and get the school list desidered (peraphs)

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can add a column with this data using the function and in this way the user can filter as he want

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors