Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MikeHawryluk
Helper I
Helper I

Displaying images from sharepoint online list or folder

Hi all...

I have images loaded in a SharePoint list that I want to display in a Power BI report. Hoping someone has seen this scenario:

Desktop: No issue to connect to the list and display data. Images show broken links which I expected. I'm not worried about this as there is no expectation to consume in the desktop.

Service: I upload the pbix file, connect SharePoint for refresh and can view the images in the report with no issue. Everything works perfectly.

IOS or Android App: Images will not load.  

If the user switches to the mobile browser on iOS or Android there is no issue but I would really like this to work across all platforms.

Suggestions?

17 REPLIES 17
rvgfox
Helper II
Helper II

@MikeHawryluk I've the same problem with the mobile apps.

Did you solve it in another way?

Regards

Ramon

Hi @rvgfox 

I never solved it in terms of using SharePoint as the source for the images.  That app has huge usage so we are talking about testing the images in Azure blob storage with the metadata stored in AzureSql which should address the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! @MikeHawryluk could you find a solution or at least heard about a reliable solution to this shameful problem ...Im experiencing the same issue and still cant find a normal solution for this such amazing power BI tooll....sometime I got sorprised by this kind of issues the tool cant fix.

Tell me if you have some news....any advice would be so much appreciated

@Anonymous  I still have no issues in a desktop browser though I find that you do have to authorize sharepoint for the user before the images start to appear.  The pages I've created have links to the images as well as the images.  So I've told the users, if you see a broken link where the image should be, click the link which will open the image in SharePoint and force authorization, then refresh the report in Power BI and the images appear.

I stopped trying to get the app to work some time ago but seeing this note I may go back and look to see whether I can get it going.  

I thought the message from @xerxel was interesting as while the end user normally uses chrome I tested Explorer 11 and Firefox and had no issues.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I was trying to show the Images from a Sharepoint List, I added the link in the same way using the 2.0 Implementation and concatenating the server and relativeURL, but it didn't work in the Power BI Service.

I was a few hours trying but the solution was to active the cookies in Google Chrome. 😅

Anonymous
Not applicable

I confirm I’m facing the same problem. Have you tried the workaround offered by the PG team?

Regarding the workaround you’re suggesting, let’s be serious.. we’re in 2019 and any solution you develop should be browser/device agnostic. In 2005 I would have accepted those workaround but today there is no way to deliver a solution where you can ask your user to use a specific platform to visualize a report..

@Anonymous , I was able to force authentication in Chrome today, but not in IE. Other workarounds I've seen have suggested removing any permissions from the SharePoint library links, which is not a viable solution for most enterprise users. Very disappointing functionality. 

bhavikv9488

Hello Mike,

I do not intend to jump on to your conversation. But I am facing an issue while displaying the images from the Resctricted/Internal  Sharepoint location. I have 4 images to be displayed based on the conditions based on the data in the table visual. My URL shows broken icon and doesnt display the images. Is there any options I need to check. I have been trying to find the solution for a while but cant find anything.

Thanks in Advance !

Bhavik

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MikeHawryluk,

Based on my test in Power BI app version 111655 on andriod and Power BI app version 13.8 in iphone, the image URL from SharePoint list can display fine. In your scenario, please run the same mobile version as ours.

androidandroidiphoneiphone

By the way, the Power BI desktop used to create pbix file is also the latest version 2.49.4831.521 64-bit (August 2017).

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Thank you very much for your response.  One question:  Are the images you are using public or are they restricted to the organization in SharePoint.  In my case, the images are restricted to members of the SharePoint site.  Will this affect the result?

My images are displaying fine via the browser on all devices.

The app versions are: Android 111680, IPAD 13.9 and Desktop 2.49.4831.521 64-bit (August 2017).

Hi @MikeHawryluk,

The image test in my environment come from Internet:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0f/Grosser_Panda.JPG/1200px-Grosser_Panda.JPG

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5d/08/a4/5d08a4106d10d9960319514f8b9c85da--pandas-cute-cute-bear.jpg

You can try the same images in your scenario to see if the issue happens.

I don't think the issue related to the permission to view image in SharePoint, as dataset owner already enter credential for the SharePoint list data source in Power BI service, any one view the report use the same credential to access the SharePoint list.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

There is no issue displaying images from public sources such as the web.  I am able to display the images you used on both apps with no issue.   

The issue is displaying images that are stored on SharePoint online and the issue only occurs in the apps.  The PowerBI users have access to both the PowerBI workspace and the SharePoint site we are using.  

Mike  

Hi @MikeHawryluk,

I can reproduce this issue on my side. I have reported it internally, will let you know if get any information.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Thanks very much for your help @v-qiuyu-msft

Hi @MikeHawryluk,

Please see below response from PG team:

The mobile apps do not work like the web application which uses cookies for authentication and that’s the main reason.

Possible workarounds:

1. Transform the images to base64 string and place it in the model - see attached, you can share with customer, there are instructions in it.
  2. Use PowerBI DAX UNICHAR function – there is an external blog post with nice explanation here: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2017/04/11/the-dax-unichar-function-and-how-to-use-it-in-measures-for-d...
  3. It depends on clients’ need but PowerBI Conditional formatting - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-conditional-table-formatting/ might solve requirements
  4. Place images in a public resource that doesn’t require authentication

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, this seems a bit surprising (not to say shocking) to see it's almost impossible to show pictures from from url linked SPO to or OneDrive knowing that 1- Power BI is designed to be visual (and what's more visual than a picture?), 2- SPO or OneDrive are Microsoft tools commonly used in business environement... Are developpers working at solving this issue or is it here to stay? Thx a lot from your feedback!

I have the same problem, so I ran some tests:

• Internet Explorer 11: Fail
  • FireFox Quantum: Fail
  • MS Edge: Pass
  • Chrome: Pass

So the verdict is, if you want to display images from Sharepoint Online in a Power BI report, then browse with Edge or Chrome.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors