cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RobertG Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

DirectQuery vs Import conumdrum

We've developed a Dashboard using the Import option.  I was naive to think that a move to DirectQuery would be easy. Subsequently I've realsied the difficulty in doing this as the queries to the data source are non-optimal and don't fit the mould for DirectQuery - they pull back too much data and I've got a nested join within my DAX code.

The easiest way around this would be for Microsoft to allow half houlry refereshes of the data with the Import option - why can't this be done?

Or I could have 6 versions of the Dashboard (i.e. 6*8=48) so I can have a least one upto date dashboard for each hhr during the day. 😉 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobertG Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: DirectQuery vs Import conumdrum

Thanks Eno for the reply.

I've been doing a bit of investigation and it looks as though you have do things 'properly' with DirectQuery. i.e write efficent queries and move as much as the processing into the SQL layer as possible. With DirectQuery you don't have the added luxury of preprocessing and shaping the data in the PowerQuery layer.

This just means more work which I had hoped to avoid. At least I'll be wiser next time.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

@RobertG Have you tried to optimize the queries? Using views would also be a way to limit/shape the data set the way you need it using DQ. Even in the import scenerio it would be worthwhile so you don't pull extra data you aren't going to use anyway.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
RobertG Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Eno for the reply.

I've been doing a bit of investigation and it looks as though you have do things 'properly' with DirectQuery. i.e write efficent queries and move as much as the processing into the SQL layer as possible. With DirectQuery you don't have the added luxury of preprocessing and shaping the data in the PowerQuery layer.

This just means more work which I had hoped to avoid. At least I'll be wiser next time.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 434 members 4,323 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: