Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kenneth_hess
Regular Visitor

Direct Query not refreshing when used within Union

We have two data sources setup in PBI.  One source is imported directly into PBI for historical data.  Another data source is using a direct query to get results from SQL (via on premise gateway) for today's data or live data.  We then created a union to merge the two tables together and present it as one table to the user. 

MergedTable = Union('history','live)

The problem we are having is that the direct query does not refresh automatically when the user refreshes the page.  If we add the live table to the dashboard as a new tile, it will refresh as expected.  the problem is that if used within the union it isn't refreshing without a full dataset refresh either from the web or the desktop application.

Please note:  Refreshing the entire dataset is not an option as it is quite large and takes about 20 mins to refresh.  We just need the direct query to refresh within the union to bring in live data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@kenneth_hess , Have set up refresh for this table? - Please refer to Microsoft doc -

Calculated tables

You can add calculated tables to a model that uses DirectQuery. The Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) that define the calculated table can reference either imported or DirectQuery tables or a combination of the two.

Calculated tables are always imported, and their data is refreshed when you refresh the tables. If a calculated table refers to a DirectQuery table, visuals that refer to the DirectQuery table always show the latest values in the underlying source. Alternatively, visuals that refer to the calculated table show the values at the time when the calculated table was last refreshed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-composite-models

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@kenneth_hess , Have set up refresh for this table? - Please refer to Microsoft doc -

Calculated tables

You can add calculated tables to a model that uses DirectQuery. The Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) that define the calculated table can reference either imported or DirectQuery tables or a combination of the two.

Calculated tables are always imported, and their data is refreshed when you refresh the tables. If a calculated table refers to a DirectQuery table, visuals that refer to the DirectQuery table always show the latest values in the underlying source. Alternatively, visuals that refer to the calculated table show the values at the time when the calculated table was last refreshed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-composite-models

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@kenneth_hess This is a known issue because you are in composite mode. I'll try to dig up the technical explanation, I had it at some point. But, bottom line, this is expected behavior actually if my memory serves.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors