Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference between writing a native query and applying a filter in M

Hi everyone

I would like to understand if there is any difference, in terms of performance, between writing a native query to filter some rows and doing that same operation in power query steps 

Meaning: let's say I have a Sales Table that I import in my model

Option 1: I write in the native query panel "select * from sales where date > 01012020. Then I load to model

Option 2: I do not write a native query, I simply connect to the table, then apply a filter over the date column saying that the date must be great than 010102020. This creates a query step. Then I load to model 

Is there any difference between this two options in terms of performance? If the topic is more complex and I'm oversimplyfing please refer me to some documentation 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

AFAIK it's basically as @Greg_Deckler said.

If you're writing custom SQL, you have to be 100% sure of your SQL skills and perform all the transformations in the SQL script, because it will break query folding and you won't be able to fold any step done in the PQ interface.

If your data source supports query folding and you're performing very simple transformations such as filtering columns, these should be folded and you shouldn't notice any difference in performance.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous My understanding is that if the query can be folded then it should essentially result in being the same thing both ways. However, if it cannot be folded, then Power BI would need to load all of the data and then filter it down which could be a significant performance it. You should be able to test this quite easily as SQL connector allows you to put SQL code into the base query.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

AFAIK it's basically as @Greg_Deckler said.

If you're writing custom SQL, you have to be 100% sure of your SQL skills and perform all the transformations in the SQL script, because it will break query folding and you won't be able to fold any step done in the PQ interface.

If your data source supports query folding and you're performing very simple transformations such as filtering columns, these should be folded and you shouldn't notice any difference in performance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors