Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Caroline_1900
Frequent Visitor

Difference between two times

Hello Community,  Thanks for answering questions in here.  Your posts have helped me the past! 

I want to calculate the difference between two times and then sum this info in a matrix.  I have used the forumla below

to calcute the difference between the End Time and the Start Time, but it won't sum correctly in a table/matrix.  See the images
below.
What am I missing?
Time Diff = sumx(TimeTracker, TimeTracker[End_Time] - TimeTracker[Start_Time] )

attached.Screenshot 2020-11-30 061627.pngScreenshot 2020-11-30 061321.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Caroline_1900 

try this new measure that uses the one you already have

Time Diff TOT =
SUMX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table1, Table1[Col1], Table1[Col2] ), [Time Diff] )

Table1[Col1], Table1[Col2] are the fields you ave in rows and columns in your matrix visual. You'll probably want to convert te result to minutes; as type time it will roll over above 24 hours

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

AlB
Super User
Super User

@Caroline_1900 

I do not understand what you are trying to show with the matrix visuals. What works? What doesn't?

When I talked about converting to minutes I wasn't referring to using MINUTE() but to multiplying the result by 24*60

Perhaps you can leave it as time if you know the total won¡t go above 24 hours

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Caroline_1900
Frequent Visitor

The intent behind the data is to deterine the length of an event in minutes and hours.  I figured the best way to do this is calculated the difference between the beginning of an event and the end of the event.

I think the problem is with my data.  As noted above, if unfiltered, the table summed correctly.  And, upon experiment now, the table sums correctly on  a different filter selection.

Your solution was a good one.

Thank you very much for your help!

AlB
Super User
Super User

@Caroline_1900 

I do not understand what you are trying to show with the matrix visuals. What works? What doesn't?

When I talked about converting to minutes I wasn't referring to using MINUTE() but to multiplying the result by 24*60

Perhaps you can leave it as time if you know the total won¡t go above 24 hours

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Caroline_1900
Frequent Visitor

I am not sure that this helps.  See images.  I wonder if this is a filtering issue.  The table/matrix correctly sums, but does not if filtered.

Hmmm...Screenshot 2020-11-30 105927.pngScreenshot 2020-11-30 105846.png

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Caroline_1900 

try this new measure that uses the one you already have

Time Diff TOT =
SUMX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table1, Table1[Col1], Table1[Col2] ), [Time Diff] )

Table1[Col1], Table1[Col2] are the fields you ave in rows and columns in your matrix visual. You'll probably want to convert te result to minutes; as type time it will roll over above 24 hours

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors