Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Simon_29
Helper II
Helper II

Deleting the values ​​of one column from the first table based on the values ​​from the second table

Hello,

let's say we have two tables which are below.
The 1st table contains the STOP_WORDS column.
The 2nd table contains the column ID, Issue and ISSUE_GROUP_TYPE.

1_screen.png2_screen.png

The question is: how can he combine Issue and STOP_WORDS so that I have a column ISSUE_GROUP_TYPE. This means that the values ​​contained in the STOP_WORDS column are matched to the Issue column and discard the words from the STOP_WORDS column.

Thank you very much for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I like @Greg_Deckler's suggestion to split on spaces. I'll use Text.Split to turn the string into a list instead of splitting into new rows though. If we turn the text into a list, we can use List.RemoveItems to remove all words from the Stop_Words list, and then turn the list back into a string with Text.Combine.

AlexisOlson_0-1665770095522.png

Here's a full sample query you can past into the advanced editor:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUUpPzE1VyE9TKMkoys9LLVaK1YlWMgKKl+TnKiTmpShkpRYVVYJFjYGiGfmlxWDlyYlFKUDFsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Issue = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Issue", type text}}),
    StopWords = {"a", "game", "of", "and"},
    #"Remove StopWords" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Issue_Group_Type", each Text.Combine(List.RemoveItems(Text.Split([Issue], " "), StopWords), " "), type text)
in
    #"Remove StopWords"

Note that I've defined the StopWords list explicitly within this query but you can replace {"a", "game", "of", "and"} with a reference to a column in a separate table, e.g., STOP_WORDS_TABLE[STOP_WORDS], assuming that's the table column that holds the list of words you want to remove.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I like @Greg_Deckler's suggestion to split on spaces. I'll use Text.Split to turn the string into a list instead of splitting into new rows though. If we turn the text into a list, we can use List.RemoveItems to remove all words from the Stop_Words list, and then turn the list back into a string with Text.Combine.

AlexisOlson_0-1665770095522.png

Here's a full sample query you can past into the advanced editor:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUUpPzE1VyE9TKMkoys9LLVaK1YlWMgKKl+TnKiTmpShkpRYVVYJFjYGiGfmlxWDlyYlFKUDFsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Issue = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Issue", type text}}),
    StopWords = {"a", "game", "of", "and"},
    #"Remove StopWords" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Issue_Group_Type", each Text.Combine(List.RemoveItems(Text.Split([Issue], " "), StopWords), " "), type text)
in
    #"Remove StopWords"

Note that I've defined the StopWords list explicitly within this query but you can replace {"a", "game", "of", "and"} with a reference to a column in a separate table, e.g., STOP_WORDS_TABLE[STOP_WORDS], assuming that's the table column that holds the list of words you want to remove.

Excellent!!! It works! Thank you very much 🙂 

I have one more question. I will give a little more precise data.
I created the ISSUE_CLEANED column from the Issue (already without words in the STOP_WORDS column), but now I needed to merge the following using some contains function:

To the new table with the Issue column from tables no. 1 in picture no. 1 assign the values from tables no. 2 in picture no. 2 so that if the words from the ISSUE_CLEANED column are in the Issue column, match the Issue_Group_Type column.

11_screen.png12_screen.png

Could you help me with this? Thank you very much 🙂

I'm not fully understanding what you're asking but this sounds like a separate question.

I'd recommend accepting an answer in this thread and starting a new post for your follow-on question.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Simon_29 Seems like you need to create a Power Query function where you pass in your text and use Text.Replace for each of your stop words to replace them with null. Alternatively, you could potentially split your words based on a space. Select your ID column and unpivot other rows. Do a Merge with your Stop Words where  you keep the words in your left table except for those in the right table (stop words). Then you can do a Group By where you recombine your words based on ID

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

thank you for the suggestion. How could such a multi replace be done, please? Such a feature would be really useful.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors