Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kim_Sky
Helper II
Helper II

Decomposition Tree

Hi, I was new in Power BI and first time using decomposition tree method. 

I have a list of data 

Incoming water 

timestampMain waterBasement adminwasherbin
30/5/223423124523
3/6/224534346745
3/6/225645568967

outgoing water 

timestampwaste 1waste 2waste 3
30/5/22234234234
3/6/22345345567
3/6/223445645

Data list

typecategorysubcategory
incoming waterbasementadmin
incoming waterbin 
incoming waterwasher 

typecategory
outgoing waterwaste 1
 waste 2 
 waste 3

for the decomposition tree, 

I may need the sum of the main water > each category in incoming water by showing the sum in the timestamp (may use slicer to pick the date)> each subcategory also shown the sum 

sum of all the incoming water > each outgoing water category with the sum in timestamp table 

I will appreciate for your help. 

Kind regards, 

Kim. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Unpivot your data to bring it into a usable format. Then you can consider putting incoming and outgoing in the same table so you can use a Waterfall (haha, funny)  chart too.

see attached for a sample.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kim_Sky
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @lbendlin

Kim_Sky_0-1659535441923.png

This will be the category/subcategory mapping. Only one item contain subcategory. Will it still be able to do? 

Thanks so much. 

yes, that will work.  You will need to report on subcategory level for all categories. Meaning you cannot provide values for Basement and for City Water, you can only provide it for City Water and do the rollup to Basement automatically.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Unpivot your data to bring it into a usable format. Then you can consider putting incoming and outgoing in the same table so you can use a Waterfall (haha, funny)  chart too.

see attached for a sample.

Hi @lbendlin

From the flow that you make, are there any chance to include subcategory? Such as by pressing the plus symbol will show the subcategory of the amount. 

Thanks a lot. 

That is technically possible but your sample data is inconsistent (I had to move stuff aroud to make it work and fix spelling differences too). Provide a better category/subcategory mapping, and then I can help with the visual.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors