Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date not showing in direct query

Hello,

Whenever I connect with our database and select the option 'Direct query' to get a live connection, the date field doesn't show up as date. But if I import the query the date field does show up as a date. The solution can be very easy by importing the date, however it's really important for my company to have a live connection with the database.

MSIT95_1-1602836162745.png

The first row is the direct query version and the second one is the imported version. There is no difference in these dates since it's the exact same data.

I hope anyone has a solution for this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The built-in date hierarchy isn't available when using DirectQuery. You could click to upvote this idea or add your own comments.

• No built-in date hierarchy: When importing data, every date/datetime column will also have a built-in date hierarchy available by default. For example, if importing a table of sales orders including a column OrderDate, then upon using OrderDate in a visual, it will be possible to choose the appropriate level (year, month, day) to use. This built-in date hierarchy isn't available when using DirectQuery. If there's a Date table available in the underlying source, as is common in many data warehouses, then the DAX Time Intelligence functions can be used as normal.

Reference: Modeling limitations when using DirectQuery in Power BI

It is suggested to manually create a custom date hierarchy in your underlying source or just in Power BI Desktop

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps,then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The built-in date hierarchy isn't available when using DirectQuery. You could click to upvote this idea or add your own comments.

• No built-in date hierarchy: When importing data, every date/datetime column will also have a built-in date hierarchy available by default. For example, if importing a table of sales orders including a column OrderDate, then upon using OrderDate in a visual, it will be possible to choose the appropriate level (year, month, day) to use. This built-in date hierarchy isn't available when using DirectQuery. If there's a Date table available in the underlying source, as is common in many data warehouses, then the DAX Time Intelligence functions can be used as normal.

Reference: Modeling limitations when using DirectQuery in Power BI

It is suggested to manually create a custom date hierarchy in your underlying source or just in Power BI Desktop

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps,then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

I think it means you don't get the automatic date hierarchy features of a date column when you connect using direct query.

Usually you would have a date table in the source system with columns to handle any hierarchy, for example, month, week, year etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors