Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date hierarchy does not work when connecting to Power BI dataset from Excel

Hi everyone

I got a problem when working with dates in pivot table in Excel with connection to Power BI dataset (premium capacity workspace) from Excel. 

Basically, I created a pivot table using the Power BI dataset connection as shown in the screenshot below.

omliievskyi_0-1616581113812.png

The connection works perfectly well, but when I am trying to work with dates in the pivot table, they do not behave as dates, rather as a text string. The dates are treated by Excel as a string-type field, even though there is a date hierarchy and the data type is set to datetime in the initial Power BI dataset:

omliievskyi_1-1616581267994.png

Grouping button in pivot table is inactive and the format change through field settings does not work.

omliievskyi_2-1616581609253.png

Is there a way to somehow transform date fields to get the date hierarchy in Excel (except for creating additional columns in Power BI), or at least to make Excel recognize this data as date?

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

I don't know this platform, but how is Excel getting this data?

Is there power query or power pivot?

In case of this, go to power query/power pivot and change there the datatype.

BR

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, Excel gets data through the connection. It is processed in the same way as cube data is. I cannot do anything with it in power query/power pivot 

Hello @Anonymous 

the only thing you could do is to probably import your data through power query first (you need exactly to know what you need) then transform it and then visualize it. 

BR

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors