Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

v_mark
Helper V
Helper V

Date Table Month Number 1-36

Once we have a date table. Normally when we do Month(date) it will give us numbers from 1 -12

Is there a way to make that continuous/extend like 1-36?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I use this formula to add a custom colum in the query editor that calculates the months from the current month.  You still get a month index but the zero value is the current month, which is useful in visual level filters to have a dynamic filter (e.g., also show the latest 6 months).

let
today = Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()),
thisdate = [Date]
in
(12 * Date.Year(thisdate) + Date.Month(thisdate)) - (12 * Date.Year(today) + Date.Month(today))

You can adapt it to get your request with the following.  Replace Previous Step with your actual previous step name in the query editor (#"Changed Type", etc.).

let
firstdate = List.Min(#"Previous Step"[Date]),
thisdate = [Date]
in
(12 * Date.Year(thisdate) + Date.Month(thisdate)) - (12 * Date.Year(firstdate) + Date.Month(firstdate))

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I use this formula to add a custom colum in the query editor that calculates the months from the current month.  You still get a month index but the zero value is the current month, which is useful in visual level filters to have a dynamic filter (e.g., also show the latest 6 months).

let
today = Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()),
thisdate = [Date]
in
(12 * Date.Year(thisdate) + Date.Month(thisdate)) - (12 * Date.Year(today) + Date.Month(today))

You can adapt it to get your request with the following.  Replace Previous Step with your actual previous step name in the query editor (#"Changed Type", etc.).

let
firstdate = List.Min(#"Previous Step"[Date]),
thisdate = [Date]
in
(12 * Date.Year(thisdate) + Date.Month(thisdate)) - (12 * Date.Year(firstdate) + Date.Month(firstdate))

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

JW_van_Holst
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Assuming you have the Date column sorted ascending:

Add column with formula: (Year(date) - Year("#LatestQueryStep"{0}[date}) * 12 + Month(date)

//JW

Tried to add this as a custom column getting an error

v_mark_0-1618342493217.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors