Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dglsmason
Advocate I
Advocate I

Date Display Formats

Using Power BI Desktop to create reports and charts. What is the syntax for displaying dates in specific formats. For example, "01/25/2015" instead of "Monday, January 25, 2015". Etc. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

click on the time field in your model then you can click on Modeling in the Desktop ribbon and pick the desired date format

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting the same as XLBob. no option for dd/MM/yyyy only dd/MMM/yyyy and for some strange reason it still shows as American format on the sliders.

This was most likely fixed in newer versions ... Slicers show correct format for dd-MMM-yy

@Anonymous have you updated to the latest version? the issue went away after upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi XLBob

I am currently on Version: 2.55.5010.641 64-bit (February 2018)

which Version are you using?

Hi

I've realised it was a problem with the February update. So I rolled back to the previous build and the problem went away.

@Anonymous upgrage to the March release, it should fix your problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok i will raise a request to update it,

cheers for your time and support.

I'm still strubbling with Date Formats...

I'm getting mm-dd-yyyy in my PBI visuals.

Source column is from sql server db and set to date

I want dd-mm-yyyy

So what are the correct steps to realize this?

BTW

- tried setting my PBI.com settings to Dutch(Netherlands) --> Dutch = dd-mm-yyyy --> NOT HELPING

- tried setting my PBI Desktop settings to Dutch --> NOT HELPING

Hi

The latest update to Power BI seems to have fixed this issue. Once I updated, the English date and time formats reappered.

Thanks

Josh

I don't want the English format (mm-dd-yyyy) ... I want (in a aesy way) the Dutch format (dd-mm-yyyy)...

And that seems hardly impossible without doing something code-base-like

The English and Dutch formats are the same (dd-mm-yyyy).

(mm-dd-yyyy) is American.

Have you got the latest version of Power BI?

I've got March 2018 version for PBI Desktop...

But still... could you explain the least possible steps to change the Englisch format to the Dutch format?

Hi, update to the April version and the format you want will be available. That should be the only step.

ZZZ.png

Hi @JoshSiit (and @bobsel),

I have also the latest Power BI Desktop version of April, but I see still the US formats. I think this has something to do with your OS language. What is your language setting over there? 

I have read this blog about it:

https://superfarb.com/power-bi-customising-date-format/

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Ricardo

Hi

The language setting we have is English (United Kingdom).

Hi @JoshSiit,

I changed the OS language to English (United Kingdom) as well and now it works! The original setting was English (United States).

OS Language settings.png

Example 1: Language English (United States) - default 

OS Language English (United States).png

Example 2: Language English (United Kingdom)

OS Language English (United Kingdom).png

So @bobsel, this is the quickest way to get your Dutch format. Otherwise (if you leave the language on United States), you can do something like this:

Changed to Dutch format.png

Unfortunately, this will convert your date into text and then you will lose built-in date functionality like Date Hierarchy.

Kind regards,

Ricardo

Hi

The latest update to Power BI seems to have fixed this issue. Once I updated, the English date and time formats reappered.

Thanks

Josh

Hi

I've realised it was a problem with the February update. So I rolled back to the previous build and the problem went away.

Thanks a lot @Seth_C_Bauer, that helped.

Not very intuitive though.

@Pieter Think of the Desktop as 2 different environments. When you load data you are using "Power Query" to do the ETL. Then after you "Close & Apply" the data is loaded into a Tabular Model. Much in the same way you would do checks and format things in the Tabular model, you still need to verify and validate correct format there as well.

Glad it works.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors