Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dglsmason
Advocate I
Advocate I

Date Display Formats

Using Power BI Desktop to create reports and charts. What is the syntax for displaying dates in specific formats. For example, "01/25/2015" instead of "Monday, January 25, 2015". Etc. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

click on the time field in your model then you can click on Modeling in the Desktop ribbon and pick the desired date format

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

Is there a way to set the default date format in the desktop application?

In Power Query, I can select all the date fields at one time and apply the date format to all together.

In the Desktop application however, I can only select one column at a time, change it, (which will make the view shift all the way to the first colum), scroll over to the next column, select, change it, and repeat. 

Very tedious for some of the larger datasets that are filled with date columns 🙂

@jj14x I'm not aware of the way in which you could manually update the M code, but there is most certianly a way in the Advanced Editor. Otherwise, if you are stuck to the UI, a quicker way to get all the columns at one time is to select a column and CTRL + Click any additional columns that will be changed to the same format. All of them will highlight and you can then select your format.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks Eno1978. CTRL + Click works in the Power Query window, but for some reason, doesn't work in the Power BI desktop application. The latter forces me to select one column at a time.

Advanced editor would be in Power Query as well, right? I changed the date type in Power Query - that was easy enough. But when I return to Power BI, the date format there defaults to having the weekday before the actual date.

(I am new to Power Query/Power BI, so may be overlooking something obvious)

@jj14x If you are out of the Advanced Editor and working in the front end, then you have availability to expand the tables on the right  hand side, and while you can't perform the CTRL+Click, you can navigate much easier selecting the columns from that area. The main data page will jump to the column you select.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks! That's a good idea.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors