Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Datasource error - unable to convert

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [MySQL][ODBC 5.3(w) Driver][mysqld-5.7.12 mongosqld v2.3.1]column 'Table1.Column1': unable to convert '0.00' (string) to float64

This is just one of the Errors I get when connecting to my Mongo Atlas DB, others have similar nature. The ODBC connection is working fine, since other tables from the same source come in successfully.

How would it be possible to feed the data to Power BI, since I cannot easily change the info in the database itself?

Also, since there is a column that makes a problem in the file "Table1", can I remove the column "Column1" just so the rest of the Table1 would be imported? 

Names of the Table/column was changed by me to make it more understandable.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, Lydia!

Thank you for your quick answer. As the "Changed Type" steps were not available under APPLIED STEPS, the solution I managed to come to was to reach out to the database manager and have him change the necessary columns from "string" to "integer".

As he explained, it is bad business having any of the columns go to "string" format like this anyway, so we were able to fix it and got my import up and running.

It is weird though, that Power BI doesn't import the rest of the table and just leave these fields to errors. Really defeats the purpose since the problematic columns might not be necessary anyway.

Cheers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Do you get the above error after importing data from your source into Power BI Desktop? If so, go to Query Editor of Power BI Desktop, check if there is a "Changed Type" under APPLIED STEPS. Delete this step if it exists.
2.JPG

In addition, if you don't want to reserve the Column1, you can write SQL statement to get required columns during the connection process.

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, Lydia!

Thank you for your quick answer. As the "Changed Type" steps were not available under APPLIED STEPS, the solution I managed to come to was to reach out to the database manager and have him change the necessary columns from "string" to "integer".

As he explained, it is bad business having any of the columns go to "string" format like this anyway, so we were able to fix it and got my import up and running.

It is weird though, that Power BI doesn't import the rest of the table and just leave these fields to errors. Really defeats the purpose since the problematic columns might not be necessary anyway.

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors