Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CRMPowerBI
Employee
Employee

Datasource Creation Failure: Attempting to Connect to a SSAS Running on Azure VM

I've really tried everything I believe I can find... but instead of saying what I did do and confuse anything. Here is the error,

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to crmolap.cloudapp.net. Details: "The connection to the Analysis Services instance timed our or was lost. Ensure that the server and the 'SQL Browser' service are running

• Azure VM Sql 2016
  • Ports for 1434, 1433, 2382, 2383 (TCP / UDP) are opened
  • I can connect from the local VM to SSAS
  • I have the Power BI Gateway installed (and it says good). I can see it from WWW.PowerBI.Com

However I get the error about being unable to connect 😞 and I can't figure out what to do. My Guess is it is a Firewall / Port type issue (as I can make it work from my local machine)

Maybe it's the whole random port for SSAS.. or something else 😞 just not able to put things together in my own brain to make it work.

Any suggestions would be awesome and thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CRMPowerBI
Employee
Employee

What I figured out (and NO i don't know why this is so, just that it is), is that i had to use the IP address, instead of the Virtual Machine DNS Name.

I validated this by opening SMO for Analysis Services... (and btw I was ON the vm when doing this). Typed in the DNS name and it would fail with the errors above (server not running etc).

I said what the heck. I pinged that DNS name and it appeared to have the correct IP address, but i said ok.. let me just try the IP address. And bingo it worked

Went back into Power BI, typed in the IP and it worked..

that's dumb.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
CRMPowerBI
Employee
Employee

What I figured out (and NO i don't know why this is so, just that it is), is that i had to use the IP address, instead of the Virtual Machine DNS Name.

I validated this by opening SMO for Analysis Services... (and btw I was ON the vm when doing this). Typed in the DNS name and it would fail with the errors above (server not running etc).

I said what the heck. I pinged that DNS name and it appeared to have the correct IP address, but i said ok.. let me just try the IP address. And bingo it worked

Went back into Power BI, typed in the IP and it worked..

that's dumb.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors