cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liaviegasquali

Dataset model

Hello! I work with research and it's really common to find datasets with a huge number of columns (+3000). When we started to work with Tableau, they told us to use data in column (i.e., we would have 3 columns, 1 to identify the person, other to identify the variable and the the third to identify the value, each line would be a value). As a PowerBi user, I always used the common dataset model (each line would be a person, each column a variable with its value), and would like to know it, in this case (in which I find so many columns to present variables) the best solution to present data really would be the columns presented before or a "normal" model would be ok. And, if the best solution really is the column model, would I use dax or similar solutions to create small dataset in the "normal" way to present them in my graphs? Or would you suggest another solution? Thanks a lot!

1 REPLY 1
mahoneypat
Super User IV
Super User IV

It depends on the types of data in your columns and the analyses/visualizations you plan to make.  However, it is likely that unpivoting your data to 3 columns is likely the best approach.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are You Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skills Challenge.

Top Solution Authors