Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JSummersgill
Advocate I
Advocate I

Dataflow / Scheduled Refresh question

Hi all,

I have a question which I'm hoping will be quick to answer. I'm trying to implement the use of Dataflows in a couple of my reports to streamline the need for refreshing data sources.

In one of the reports we have what I term as our two main data points.

1) The first is from an internal excel file that contains monthly financial data. This file is only updated once a month and so we are fine with manually refreshing this in Desktop, performing our reconciliations and then publishing to the service for wider user access.

2) The second data source is general external market data that we source from web APIs. The majority of this data is daily. Currently the queries for these web APIs are in Desktop and so I need to manually refresh and republish so that our apps are up to date.

I have managed to create a dataflow that correctly populates an entity from these APIs and a nightly scheduled refresh is working correctly. I'm also able to access this dataflow in the Desktop correctly in my current report.

Is there way to get my report in service to refresh on a daily basis in line with the dataflow? It currently seems like I still need to open up Desktop, refresh the dataflows and then republish to get the new data.

I don't currently have a data gateway set up, mainly because the bulk of the data is only refreshed monthly so it isn't really a requirement. I had hoped that I would be able to schedule the report to refresh just the dataflow data which is updated more frequently.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @JSummersgill ,

Is there way to get my report in service to refresh on a daily basis in line with the dataflow? It currently seems like I still need to open up Desktop, refresh the dataflows and then republish to get the new data.

For your requirement, you'd better install the on-premises data gateway and set schedule refresh for the dataflow you need refresh daily.

Please refer to this document about installing gateway.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-piga-msft  I will give that a go. I thought that might be what I have to do but had hoped there was a different way. It seems a bit strange to me that I need to have an on-premise data gateway in order to refresh data that is not on premises.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors