Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tharding
Helper I
Helper I

Dataflow - Entities from a specific server do not show up in Desktop

I have created 2 dataflows in Power BI service. Each has entities sourced from 2 different SQL Servers. In each case the entities from 1 of the servers does not show up under the dataflow in Power BI Desktop (the entities from the other server are ok).

The entities refresh OK in the service, and there are no errors that I can see in the refresh history. 

The server connection is set up in the gateway.

Any suggestions about where to look would be appreciated. I figure there has to be a setting somewhere I am missing, but I set up all of the entities in the exact same way.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
Streamline
Frequent Visitor

It does indeed seem to be an issue with the data type 'Date'. 

Since this week, 16 of the 19 entities no longer appear when connecting to the dataflow from Power BI Desktop. Thanks to this topic, I found out that these entities all contain columns with dates. I have changed the data type of these columns to 'Datetime' and now it works again. 

Yes agree, the change from date to datetime solved it for me too, still it is a work around and cost me a lot of time to change it in all tables 😕 Anyway still happy with the progress in Power BI so I'm willing to ignore this bug. 😉

Moderator in Issues forum reports thatt the ETA for a fix for this is the end of this week.

new ETA? still not working 😉

So I noticed...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I created a new table as "=mysourcetable". It refreshed in the Power query succesfully. however when i saved the dataflow there was no error, but the new entity did not appear. Is this likely the same issue the new stuff isnt saving, and no error being displayed

I can add new entities from the same server, and even the same database that work fine. It appears to be just one table.

We have another database on the same server with an exact copy of the same table (it's a calendar table) and the same issue occurs - seems fine in the dataflow but does not appear as an entity in desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

try removing columns incrementally until it loads may be a data type issue ?

You are on to something.

The entity will not load if the key column, which is of type DATE, is included. Remove that column and it appears in desktop. All other date fields in the table are of type datetime. If i change one of those to type date only, then the entity no longer appears.

So there is something caused by the presence of a date only column. This has to be a bug right? My calendar table is not of much use without a date key.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice to know your on track,  question i have, is why a new table  that equals existing table does not appear,  does it need  bi premium to work ?

let
  Source = Account
in
  Source

All of the other entities that work are based on existing tables. It's only the date only data type that seems to be causing the problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use an integer as my key that looks like a date   ie 20191119 (today), it may be too late for you to make this change

Unfortunately this comes from a long-standing data warehouse. I don't get why the date column is causing this issue though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

having the same issues. Can't access entities from other dataflows or from PBI desktop. Problem is on Pro and Premium. However, in my case it has nothing to do with the server... I can access other entities from the same server. Furthermore, so far the problem is happening with entities from Dynamics 365 CDM and excel file; in both cases I have other entities coming from the same source (server and file) which are loading ok.

It almost seems like the problem is happening on the Datalake, or wherever dataflows saves the data.

I also just noticed than when the power query opens to edit the entities in the data flow, the one that does not show in desktop appears to very briefly (< 1 sec) have a blue question mark on it, which disappears. There is no indication after than that there is any issue with the entity.

Based on your problem description, I added new entity from a different table in the same database, and that one seems OK. So there appears to be an issue with one table, not the database or the server. No closer to a resolution though.

philippfrenzel
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have the same issue since today - working on this since more than 8 hours to find a solution. Was getting crazy as I seemed to be the only one... 

I have the following scenario created for support:

Ticket Nr. 119111921001401

dataflow overview invoices.PNG

dataflow all invoices missing.PNG

This is happened to multiple of my dataflows so the complete architecture is currently "offline"...:/

Would be happy about a solution, even if this get's fixed in the background!

Cheers Philipp

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors