Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

biancabarroso
Frequent Visitor

Database Access

When I press "Get Data"and select the right link to connect it with my database, I cannot see the relationships between the datasets. It appears as one main table, which is not true.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed? I tried to download each dataset separetely and then import them, it worked fine. But I want them in real time, so ideally I should connect with my database...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @biancabarroso,

From your screenshots, it seems that you get data from SSAS database in a live connection, right? 

If it is, what you get is expected, data modeling and mange relationships are not supported in live connection. See: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Live-Connection-Limitation-Get-Data-Data-Pane-Relationships...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @biancabarroso,

From your screenshots, it seems that you get data from SSAS database in a live connection, right? 

If it is, what you get is expected, data modeling and mange relationships are not supported in live connection. See: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Live-Connection-Limitation-Get-Data-Data-Pane-Relationships...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you doing this through your Power BI Desktop?  If not, i'd firstly suggest trying that.

The next thing is about queries themselves.  Each query is essentually 1 table.  So when you pick your database as your source line, the very next line should be to select which table you want to bring into your query.  Each of your next steps should be the transformations you want to make on this table each time.

If you wish to bring in many tables, you need many queries.

To relate them, after using the 'Close and Apply' option in the query editor, you'll be able to move to the table relationships screen and update any relationships that haven't been automatically detected by Power BI.

I cannot even click there...

ScreenShot Issue PowerBI 2.JPG   ScreenShot Issue PowerBI.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you clicked on the "Edit Queries" button on the ribbon in your screenshot?  Your other screenshot is the field selector, which is not part of the query editor.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @biancabarroso,

Which database do you want to get data from? Can you share some screenshots to clarify "When I press "Get Data"and select the right link to connect it with my database, I cannot see the relationships between the datasets. It appears as one main table, which is not true."? 

By the way, in Power BI desktop, we can create and manage relationships after we retrieve data. See: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu 

ScreenShot Issue PowerBI.JPGScreenShot Issue PowerBI 2.JPG

biancabarroso
Frequent Visitor

When I press "Get Data"and select the right link to connect it with my database, I cannot see the relationships between the datasets. It appear as one main table, which is not true.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed? I tried to download each dataset separetely and then import them, it was OK. But I want them in real time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors