Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CmdrKeene
Helper IV
Helper IV

DataSource.Error connecting to SharePoint 2010 list

This failure when trying to connect to a list on SharePoint.  The list has a variety of field types, like People, Choice, and Multi-Line text fields.

DataSource.Error: We couldn't parse OData response result.  Error: An error was read from the payload. See the 'Error' property for more details.
Details:
    DataSourceKind=SharePoint
    DataSourcePath=http://teamsharepoint/sites/teamsite/_vti_bin/ListData.svc/Upgrades

Please help, I need to connect this list to PowerBI.

CmdrKeene
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CmdrKeene
Helper IV
Helper IV

I was having this same issue on two particular lists on our SharePoint 2010 site. I read some posts that mentioned it could be caused by lookup fields, but neither problem list had such fields. Other posts mentioned people/person fields, I had them but I ruled that out as well.

So I turned to the calculated columns in my list. I had three. I set each one to just a calculation of "=1" and saved, and noted that the ListData.vsc started working!  While two of the calculated fields had much more advanced formulas, after process of elimination I determined that this calculated field is the one causing the problem for me:

Field Name: "Expected Launch Date"
Field Formula: =IF([Call 2 Completed]=0,"TBD",[Call 2 Completed]+7)
Return Type: Date Only

You might see the problem now -- my simple "IF" formula is returning text "TBD" string for a column with a type that must return "Date Only". So, I changed the formula to the following and my list is still working now.

New Formula: =IF([Call 2 Completed]="","",[Call 2 Completed]+7)

Read as "If [Call 2 Completed] is null, use null. Otherwise, add 7 days to [Call 2 Completed]"

Anyway I think I'm good now.

CmdrKeene

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
CmdrKeene
Helper IV
Helper IV

I was having this same issue on two particular lists on our SharePoint 2010 site. I read some posts that mentioned it could be caused by lookup fields, but neither problem list had such fields. Other posts mentioned people/person fields, I had them but I ruled that out as well.

So I turned to the calculated columns in my list. I had three. I set each one to just a calculation of "=1" and saved, and noted that the ListData.vsc started working!  While two of the calculated fields had much more advanced formulas, after process of elimination I determined that this calculated field is the one causing the problem for me:

Field Name: "Expected Launch Date"
Field Formula: =IF([Call 2 Completed]=0,"TBD",[Call 2 Completed]+7)
Return Type: Date Only

You might see the problem now -- my simple "IF" formula is returning text "TBD" string for a column with a type that must return "Date Only". So, I changed the formula to the following and my list is still working now.

New Formula: =IF([Call 2 Completed]="","",[Call 2 Completed]+7)

Read as "If [Call 2 Completed] is null, use null. Otherwise, add 7 days to [Call 2 Completed]"

Anyway I think I'm good now.

CmdrKeene

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors