cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
skasper
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed

Hi,

 

I am using Power BI Desktop and trying to query data from an Excel file stored on a SharePoint Online site. 

 

Query

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://xxx.sharepoint.com/sites/management/Freigegebene%20Dokumente/salaries.xlsx"), null, true),
    tbl_salaries_Table = Source{[Item="tbl_salaries",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(tbl_salaries_Table,{{"Name", type text}, {"Net Salary", type number}, {"Total Cost", type number}, {"Hours/Day", Int64.Type}, {"Latest Adjustment", type date}, {"Adjustment Value", Int64.Type}, {"Net Bonus", Int64.Type}, {"Total Bonus Cost", Int64.Type}, {"Bonus Type", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Error

DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed: https://xxx.sharepoint.com/sites/management/Freigegebene Dokumente/salaries_xlsx/_api/contextinfo
Details:
    DataSourceKind=SharePoint
    DataSourcePath=https://xxx.sharepoint.com/sites/management/Freigegebene%20Dokumente/salaries_xlsx/_api/contextinfo
    SPRequestGuid=ef84049e-601e-4000-ef17-0555bf13666b

 

 

Any idea, what I am doing wrong here?

Thank you.

Best - Sascha
Please always mark accepted solutions. It helps others with similar questions or problems. Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

@skasper

 

I haven't reproduced your issue. Please delete the data source (File->Options and Settings->Data Source Settings->Clear Permission) and reconnect to see if it works.

 

Regards,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
nmasimore
Regular Visitor

I tried re-refreshing a couple times, and my issue went away.

If anyone knows why this is, an explanation would be super helpful. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Note that I got the same error after my SharePoint files were moved to a U.S. server (had been housed on a server in Europe). This is likely not applicable in many cases, but posted here in case your company does the same and you're spending time trying to figure out what happened. I needed to update the settings for the data source to show the new path.
mugdhadesai
Regular Visitor

Hi,

 

I was doing the same and was getting exactly the same error.

But just now I updated Power BI Desktop to the latest July version, and it is working fine now.

Get Data > Sharepoint folder used to work before, but no longer works now.

So now I use Get Data > Web > give path of the excel file (with only name of sharepoint site > folder > subfolder > file name.xlsx)

No other symbols/code.

 

Thanks

Mugdha

v-sihou-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

@skasper

 

I haven't reproduced your issue. Please delete the data source (File->Options and Settings->Data Source Settings->Clear Permission) and reconnect to see if it works.

 

Regards,

I had the same problem. This solution also worked for me.

Hi,

I also run into similar errors while refreshing the data in Power BI Desktop. In my case as well, the data is fetched from excel files stored in SharePoint Online site. I typically get the same error as stated by @skasper :
DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed

 

On trying the solution you mention, the data refreshment was successful and error-free.

 

However, sometimes while refreshing the dataset, I see other kinds of errors on the SharePoint Site itself indicating the unavailability of it:

aanchalvazir_2-1626792249543.png

On similar lines, I sometimes also encounter the following error while refreshing the dataset in Power BI Desktop:

aanchalvazir_3-1626792344316.png

While investigating these new errors, I read the following documentation on throttling in SharePoint:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/general-development/how-to-avoid-getting-throttled-o...

 

How can these repititive errors be overcome? Do you recommend anything specific when it comes to using a specific Microsoft 365 license when dealing with data file retrieval from SharePoint?

 

Thanking you in advance! 🙂

skasper
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @v-sihou-msft,

 

thank you. I did that and it works now. I also updated to the July version, so I am not sure, what really was the fix.

Best - Sascha
Please always mark accepted solutions. It helps others with similar questions or problems. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
May 23 2022 epsiode 5 without aka link.jpg

The Power BI Community Show

Welcome to the Power BI Community Show! Jeroen ter Heerdt talks about the importance of Data Modeling.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through June10th!

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 without aka link and time 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Watch Session 22 Ted's Dev Camp along with past sessions!

Power BI Release May 2022 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the May 2022 updates!