cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mstefancik Member

Data set built on pivot table

Hi BI gurus.

I would like to ask. Is it possible to create visualization on data from pivot table?

On youtube channel video : Prepare your data for Power BI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2wy4XgQIu0

there is a mention if your data is in pivot table, you need to do a little bit more work to get i ready.

What does it mean? Can I use pivot table or do I need a flat table?

Thx

3 REPLIES 3
konstantinos Senior Member

Re: Data set built on pivot table

If you want to import the pivot as data source to the PowerBI service you need to copy & paste them as values and then create the table to import. Better to load the data that pivot used as data source which it will be in the format required...

Else you can use PowerBI Descktop ( or PowerQuery with Excel ) to import the data from the pivot sheet ( need some small transformations such as "Use first rows as header" ) , design the visuals/graphs and then upload the PowerBI Descktop to the Service (PowerBI browser).

Konstantinos Ioannou
ajanson Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

mstefancik,

you can't use Pivot Tables if you use excel file as a source. The uploaded Excel file has to meet following conditions described in this artice: https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/424871-excel-data-in-power-bi

Generally speaking you have to prepare data in flat table. You can also create model in PowerPivot (more details in mentioned article)

mstefancik Member

@ajanson

Thx I understand, I just wanted to clear it out. On the other hand, pivot table should be inmplemented as one of the visualizations charts.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Topics Started Badges Coming

New Topics Started Badges Coming

We're releasing new versions of the badge that everyone's talking about. ;) Check your inbox for notifications.

MBAS 2020

Save the new date (and location)!

Our business applications community is growing—so we needed a different venue, resulting in a new date and location. See you there!

Difinity Conference

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)