Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mstefancik
Advocate II
Advocate II

Data set built on pivot table

Hi BI gurus.

I would like to ask. Is it possible to create visualization on data from pivot table?

On youtube channel video : Prepare your data for Power BI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2wy4XgQIu0

there is a mention if your data is in pivot table, you need to do a little bit more work to get i ready.

What does it mean? Can I use pivot table or do I need a flat table?

Thx

3 REPLIES 3
ajanson
Advocate II
Advocate II

mstefancik,

you can't use Pivot Tables if you use excel file as a source. The uploaded Excel file has to meet following conditions described in this artice: https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/424871-excel-data-in-power-bi

Generally speaking you have to prepare data in flat table. You can also create model in PowerPivot (more details in mentioned article)

@ajanson

Thx I understand, I just wanted to clear it out. On the other hand, pivot table should be inmplemented as one of the visualizations charts.

konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

If you want to import the pivot as data source to the PowerBI service you need to copy & paste them as values and then create the table to import. Better to load the data that pivot used as data source which it will be in the format required...

Else you can use PowerBI Descktop ( or PowerQuery with Excel ) to import the data from the pivot sheet ( need some small transformations such as "Use first rows as header" ) , design the visuals/graphs and then upload the PowerBI Descktop to the Service (PowerBI browser).

Konstantinos Ioannou

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors