Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UK_User123456
Resolver I
Resolver I

Data lookup

Hi All,

Just started with power query, I have an excel template that I use which gives me the data I need with the columns set up, however on a monthly basis the csv file that comes through, has the data set in different columns, this is just how it comes in, is there any way of being able to set this up so that a column looks up the whole data set from the csv file and pulls through the correct column.

eg...

My template is setup like this

First NameSurnameAgeGift Amount
TestOne2520
TestTwo3620
TestThree4110
TestFour28

Each month the data could come in as:

SurnameGift AmountFirst NameAge
One20Test25
Two20Test36
Three10Test41
Four15Test28

or 

Gift AmountSurnameAgeFirst Name
20One25Test
20Two36Test
10Three41Test
15Four28Test

Is there a way of being able to set up within the data model a way of it automatically looking up the correct column and pulling it through?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @UK_User123456 ,

If you get data from folder, then your data will be append automatically by column name.

2.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @UK_User123456 ,

If you get data from folder, then your data will be append automatically by column name.

2.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

The order really shouldn't matter as long as the csv isn't adding in more columns from month to month that moves the columns you want out of the field of view?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors