Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

christianadaa
Helper IV
Helper IV

Data from SharePoint (Excel file) not updating in power query

Hi, 

I connected data from an excel file in SharePoint using the Web ('Get Data'). I do not have any queries or errors. 

I have read other threads. My refresh button in both desktop and power query are toggled to include enable content and include in background.

My data is still not updating when I refresh it to reflect the most updated SharePoint excle

sheet. How do I fix this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

For the web connector you need to take care of the refreshes yourself, it is not automatic.  

Yes, you need to reload your data

If your Power Query produces the exact same result then there willbe no impact to your visuals.

View solution in original post

Add a transform step "Use first row as headers"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
KT_Bsmart2gethe
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @christianadaa ,

Which sign-in method did you select?

Please use organizational account. 

KT_Bsmart2gethe_0-1653181357003.png

Regards

KT

Thank you. 

I used this method. The problem still persisted. I have reloaded the data using SharePoint folder. 

Thank you. This link is very helpful.

christianadaa
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thank you. 

I had difficulties using the SharePoint connector so I used The Web connector. A few questions-

Does this mean the data will not update with the Web connection? 
Will I have to reload my data using the SharePoint? 
Will this interfere with my current visuals? 

For the web connector you need to take care of the refreshes yourself, it is not automatic.  

Yes, you need to reload your data

If your Power Query produces the exact same result then there willbe no impact to your visuals.

Thank you. 

I have reloaded the data using 'SharePoint Folder' as I will need the data to refresh automatically. 

I am not facing the issue of the coloumns not displaying names as it did when I loaded it via the 'Web' function. 

Please see comparinson below. I would like my coloumns to display the header names instead of Coloumn 1,2,3 etc. 

Loaded the data via 'SharePoint folder'

christianadaa_0-1653195569619.png

Loaded the data via 'Web'

christianadaa_1-1653195670085.png

Add a transform step "Use first row as headers"

Thank you very much. 

This worked. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Recommendation is to use the Sharepoint folder connector. Microsoft states that changes are "usually" replicated within one hour. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors