Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jroob
Frequent Visitor

Data cleanup - how to clean and combine a report with multiple smaller tables into one larger table

Hello all,

I am trying to clean up a report in BI that comes from an Excel file and could use some guidance on how to set up a new column with some logic involved. In the excel spreadsheet there are basically multiple rows with headers for projects in a table. The headers are all the same. 

In the report it has headers like the following

NAME | PROJECT MANAGER | PROJECT ID 

However, in the NAME column there are values in the column that I want to have added into a newly created column, call it STATUS

So the way the data looks now would be example:

Project NameProject ManagerProject ID
In progressnull

null

Project 1Bob1
Project 2Bob

On holdnullnull
Project 3John3
Completenullnull
Project 4Steve4
Cancelednullnull
Project 5 Steve 5

Ideally, what I would like to do is take the 'In Progress', 'On Hold', 'Complete', and 'Canceled' values that are in the NAME column and insert a new column to the end so it is like

Project NameProject ManagerProject IDStatus
Project 1Bob1In Progress

Then, remove the rows that include the headers for that section so that the data in the table is properly formatted with only 1 correct set of headers at the top of table. 

Could anyone assist with the clean up? It would be greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - I recommend this...

• Add a new column that identifies whether or not the row contains headers. Something like "ContainsHeaders" and this would be true/false.
  • Add new column that puts the Status into the correct position.  
  • Remove rows in which ContainsHeaders = false and Status = null. 

This is very helpful, thanks! Could you explain a bit as to how I could do step 1 and step 2? Moreso step 2, how could I take the statuses in column 1 and have them be put into a new column for each one? A conditional column? Sorry, I am still learning BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors