Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrispybacon
Helper I
Helper I

Data cleansing - Conditonal replacement by list of special characters

Hello everyone, 

currently I am facing a problem in PQ that I am not sure how to solve. 

Basically I need to clean a free text field that is created by the users of my application that I am getting the data from. 

So assuming I have the following string: "aaa-bb bb-ccc//dd?eee", I would like to "have aaa_bb_bb_ccc__dd_eee"

Since this a free text field the number of special characters they use as delimiters can be really large. So is there a way to have a list with all special characters and then check in the string of each record if it appears, and if any of the special charachters appear to replace them by "_". 

I would like to avoid having all these additional Replace transformations steps. 

I need that step because later I need to do a categorization where I do something like 

each if List.ContainsAny(Text.Split([col], "_"), checklist1) = true then "output" else if [and so on]

I was googling but couldn't find any useful source for the above scenario. Any link to resource or idea is appreciated :). 

Cheers,

Christian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

let
    Source = "aaa-bb bb-ccc//dd?eee",

special=Splitter.SplitTextByRepeatedLengths(1)(Source),

res=Text.Combine( List.Transform(special, each if List.Contains({"a".."z"}, _) then _ else Text.Replace(_, _, "_")))

in
res

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
spg_vizcube
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @chrispybacon 

Probably this would help 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-Query-Replace-multiple-substrings-in-one-column/td-p/...

Appreciate your Kudos!

If I solve your problem, please accept this as a Solution

Add me on Linked In , Visit my blog vizcube.biz
Subscribe to my youtube channel 

Anonymous
Not applicable

let
    Source = "aaa-bb bb-ccc//dd?eee",

special=Splitter.SplitTextByRepeatedLengths(1)(Source),

res=Text.Combine( List.Transform(special, each if List.Contains({"a".."z"}, _) then _ else Text.Replace(_, _, "_")))

in
res

Hi @Anonymous, 

that approach worked nicely! That also helped me to learn something about the use of "_". Also sorry for the late reply I was on holiday ;). 

Best regards,

Christian

@Anonymous How can we replace Source as table

Anonymous
Not applicable

@spg_vizcubeif you intend to apply the transformations to the values of some column of a table, this can be done by defining a function that takes as input a string and gives as output a transformed string and using it with the add custom column function or somethink like transform columns.

what is exactly your case?

Anonymous
Not applicable

yet another way to change the set of "not standard" chars to a given default char:

let
str_in="aaa-bb bb-ccc//dd?eee",
str_out=Text.Combine( List.Transform(Splitter.SplitTextByRepeatedLengths(1)(str_in), each Record.FieldOrDefault(Record.FromList({"a".."z"},{"a".."z"}),_ ,"_") ))
in
str_out

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors