Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Sources with Data Gateway

Hi everyone,

I create reports on my laptop and saves those reports on a network share from our company. The data sources for those reports are also on the shared folder, but when I connect to those files Power BI uses x:\foldername\filename.

Our on premise data gateway is installed on a dedicated server which also has access to these files, but trhough \\servername\foldername\filename. When I publish a report it will use x:\ path and I can't add that same path to the gateway. But when I use the path \\servername\.. I can't connect to the files in Power BI Desktop...

How can I make this work?

The connection with \\servername\ in de gateway is fine. But when I publish the Power BI desktop with the \\servername\ path, Power BI Service still sees it as x:\.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it seemed to be that IT denied my access to those folders. They gave me access to the folder and I was able to use the UNC Path.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it seemed to be that IT denied my access to those folders. They gave me access to the folder and I was able to use the UNC Path.

Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

I'd like to recommend using parameters. You can create a parameter PathToYouStorage which you set in Power Query Editor to your x:\foo\bar\ and then you append the file name, see the screenshot.

Capture.PNG

Next, you load your file using the parameter like this:

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents(PathToYourFolder & "fileName.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Encoding=1252])
in
    Source

Then you publish you pbix to Power BI Service and change the parameter in the setting of your dataset.

Capture2.PNG

More to this topic: Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors