cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimHellegers Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Data Sources with Data Gateway

Hi everyone,

I create reports on my laptop and saves those reports on a network share from our company. The data sources for those reports are also on the shared folder, but when I connect to those files Power BI uses x:\foldername\filename.

Our on premise data gateway is installed on a dedicated server which also has access to these files, but trhough \\servername\foldername\filename. When I publish a report it will use x:\ path and I can't add that same path to the gateway. But when I use the path \\servername\.. I can't connect to the files in Power BI Desktop...

How can I make this work?

The connection with \\servername\ in de gateway is fine. But when I publish the Power BI desktop with the \\servername\ path, Power BI Service still sees it as x:\.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Data Sources with Data Gateway

So it seemed to be that IT denied my access to those folders. They gave me access to the folder and I was able to use the UNC Path.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi @TimHellegers,

I'd like to recommend using parameters. You can create a parameter PathToYouStorage which you set in Power Query Editor to your x:\foo\bar\ and then you append the file name, see the screenshot.

Capture.PNG

Next, you load your file using the parameter like this:

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents(PathToYourFolder & "fileName.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Encoding=1252])
in
    Source

Then you publish you pbix to Power BI Service and change the parameter in the setting of your dataset.

Capture2.PNG

More to this topic: Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

So it seemed to be that IT denied my access to those folders. They gave me access to the folder and I was able to use the UNC Path.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 1,297 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: