Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PBI-Curious
Resolver I
Resolver I

Data Source Error - Column does not exist

Power BI Community - Good Day!

Some of the column names in my source data have changed. What are best practices to resolve? I tried deleting the column in my data view, for I couldn't delete in power query due to the error. Once I find the update names can I correct in my data view or something else?

Not certain how to clear the error so I can proceed.

Regards,

klsmith_dnb_0-1627403412968.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @PBI-Curious ,

I've not worked with Amazon RedShift sources before, but you should be able to select your Source and Navigation steps within Power Query and see the original data as it's first pulled in. From here, you just go down the step list one-by-one and, when a step throws an error, look at the M code for that step in the formula bar and remove/update any reference to your missing/changed field name.

If you are getting an error even on the source step, I can only guess that the field list is hard-coded somehow into your connection string. You may be able to see more details on this using Advanced Editor on your query then, as above, updating any references to the offending field.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PBI-Curious
Resolver I
Resolver I

Pete

Understood, much appreciated!

Thank you

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @PBI-Curious ,

I've not worked with Amazon RedShift sources before, but you should be able to select your Source and Navigation steps within Power Query and see the original data as it's first pulled in. From here, you just go down the step list one-by-one and, when a step throws an error, look at the M code for that step in the formula bar and remove/update any reference to your missing/changed field name.

If you are getting an error even on the source step, I can only guess that the field list is hard-coded somehow into your connection string. You may be able to see more details on this using Advanced Editor on your query then, as above, updating any references to the offending field.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors