Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pucities
Frequent Visitor

Data Profiling in M: Count of Numeric Values (Table.Profile)

Hello,

I created a data profiling table in Power Query from a table(T_File)

let
Source = Table.Profile(T_File)
in
Source

How do I add another aggregate column to the data profile table that shows the count of numeric values?

I found an arcticle which shows how to add aggregate columns 

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2019/07/31/adding-more-aggregate-columns-to-the-output-of-table-profile...

Table.Profile(
        Source,
        {
        {"Median", each Type.Is(_, type number), List.Median},
        {"Mode", each Type.Is(_, type number), List.Mode}
        }
    )

But I can't seem to figure out how to count numeric values from varchar formatted field.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @pucities 

Please try this:

List.Count(List.Select( Source[Column1], each try Value.Is(Number.From(_), type number) otherwise null))

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pucities 

Before Profile, please change type of your column from varchar to number format.

Capture12.JPG

Please pay attention to the notes below:

The second part: A function to call to determine where the aggregate column will be applied to a given column in the source table. In this case I’m checking to see if a column is type number and only returning a median or mode if it is.

Reference:

https://ssbi-blog.de/blog/technical-topics-english/pitfalls-with-table-columnsoftype/

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @pucities 

not sure if my understanding is correct, but you could use the function List.Count to count the occurrances instead:

Table.Profile(
        Source,
        {
        {"Count", each Type.Is(_, type number), List.Count},
        {"Mode", each Type.Is(_, type number), List.Mode}
        }
    )

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thanks for your reply. 

I should have been more specific in my question. 

The column type is varchar(Text) so I get "null"  when I use this function:    {"Count", each Type.Is(_, type number), List.Count},

Currently, the column that I'm interested in contains both numeric and alphanumeric values. But I want the count of only numeric records.

For example, from the following list, I want to return 1.

13BA3

352B1

Thank you

Hi @pucities 

Please try this:

List.Count(List.Select( Source[Column1], each try Value.Is(Number.From(_), type number) otherwise null))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors