Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gabrielhausegge

Data Gateway

Hey all.

I have a Problem: I have installed the On-premises Date Gateway on my SQL Server.

When i start my power bi (online) i can also see the gateway in the settings.

I can also add a SQL-Database in this gateway (Server, Databasename, user password,...) and the connection is also successfull.

But now the problem: If i want to creat a Dataset i cant find the Data (I tried to add a "SQL Server Analysis Service")

Cany anyone help me?

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@gabrielhausegge Said another way. You need to create a report in the Power BI Desktop. That report should use the same data source you have set up in the gateway. Once you publish the PBIX file, a dataset is created in the Power BI Service, and you can set up refresh schdedules. If it is direct query, or live connection to a SSAS instance, then the gateway will recognize that and keep the data up to date.

Essentially, you need to make sure the gateway in the Service has the data source set up to match whatever data source you are publishing from the Desktop.

You can't access every data source from the Service directly -> I think this is what is causing your confusion.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@gabrielhausegge Said another way. You need to create a report in the Power BI Desktop. That report should use the same data source you have set up in the gateway. Once you publish the PBIX file, a dataset is created in the Power BI Service, and you can set up refresh schdedules. If it is direct query, or live connection to a SSAS instance, then the gateway will recognize that and keep the data up to date.

Essentially, you need to make sure the gateway in the Service has the data source set up to match whatever data source you are publishing from the Desktop.

You can't access every data source from the Service directly -> I think this is what is causing your confusion.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
DavidMoss
Advocate V
Advocate V

first you set up the datasource in the on-premises gateway in the manage gateway section in your online PBI service. This serves for the gateway to know about your datasources. Later when you develope a dashboard and it need to refresh it will use the gateway to find the datasource.

This is different to the actual datasources you need to setup in your PBI reports. You need to create these seprerately when you use 'Get Data'. They will not populate with the datasources you have already set up in the gateway. It would be a logical feature but normally people do it in the opposite order.

Hope that helps. IF not ask further....

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors