Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ybarsabal
Resolver I
Resolver I

Data Gateway for Data Source containing SQL Server and Excel file

I created a data source using SQL Server merged with an Excel file. Power BI Service says I need a data gateway for this. We already have a data gateway set up for the SQL Server, but I'm guessing it's looking for a separate data gateway, specifically for this merged data source? What's going on here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, looks like this might be solved with a setting on the gateway you already set up. I'll get my admin to enable this and report back when I have an update.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-mashup-on-premises-cloud

1. Manage gateways.
  2. Select the gateway you want to configure.
  3. Under Gateway Cluster Settings, select Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster > Apply.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @ybarsabal ,

What is your excel file? online or on-premises?

If your excel file is online, you don't need to add it to data gateway.

If your excel file is on- premises, you need to add it to the data gateway.

You could add the two data source in the same gateway.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ok, looks like this might be solved with a setting on the gateway you already set up. I'll get my admin to enable this and report back when I have an update.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-mashup-on-premises-cloud

1. Manage gateways.
  2. Select the gateway you want to configure.
  3. Under Gateway Cluster Settings, select Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster > Apply.

I first tried using an on-prem Excel file, but after I wrote my original post I switched out the Excel file for a OneDrive file (using Web URL) and got a similar result. The SQL Server has a gateway which works if it's the only source. I also tried the OneDrive Web URL which also refreshes when it's the only source. Are you saying it's possible to add this specific merged data source in the gateway? I don't  actually manage the gateways, so I don't know all the options.

gateway issue.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors