Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jnickell
Helper V
Helper V

Data Gateway - determining what data is being pulled back

I'll start by saying this is probably pretty similar to posts that already exist, but my search skills are failing me.  

I have a Dataset that uses SQL, anonymous web, and an excel file. 

I have setup the On-Prem Data Gateway, and from the PowerBI > Manage Gateways page, everything is reporting as online and "Good to Go".

I have three datasources setup in the Gateway.

1. an anonymous Web request (timeanddate.com)
  2. SQL Server to the database in question
  3. "Folder" to the root folder of local directory of the excel file's storage location (using my windows username and passwords for the login)

In my PBIX file I have these three sources setup

1. an anonymous Web HTML page
  2. a SQL server connection in 'import connectivity mode'
  3. an Excel file with the full path to the desired excel file

I have run several refreshes after publishing this setup to the Power Bi Service.  My gateway connection is still showing as using the 'data gateway' and refresh history shows that all of them have completed.

I've watched 'open files' on the server hosting the excel file and I can see it get accessed by my user account when I do an on-demand refresh.

However, there are no updates to my 'online' dataset'

I've tried looking at the Data Gateway logs, but I can't make real heads or tails out of what's being recorded there. 

In short, everything 'seems' to be working properly, but data is missing in my charts.  I know that it is because I put some dummy data in the excel file and those results have yet to show in the graphs or in "Explore >See data"

Additionally the widget that utilizes the anonymous web request has yet to update either. 

I'd appreciate any pointers on what I'm doing wrong.

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jnickell,

From your description, you have configured the dataset to use data gateway and dataset can be refreshed successfully, but the data in the report don't get updated, right?

In your scenario, please manually refresh the dataset and refresh the report in Power BI desktop at the same time, to see if you can get the same result. In Power BI service, after the dataset is refreshed successfully, please refresh the report page or click the Refresh button in report.

By the way, please always keep the data gateway get updated, which can avoid many potential problems.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

My problem is that I don't believe the Dataset IS being refreshed successfully even though all 'indicators' are that it is.  

I just performed the following.

Opened the pbix file and clicked refresh for the data

Opened the dataset on the service and clicked refresh now.

A little time transpires and the report graphic on the pbix file is updated.  The service report graphic does not reflect any changes, even though it says the dataset refreshed successfully.  I have refreshed the page.

I'm not sure what you meant by your last sentence.  We are just getting started using the data gateway so this is the first 'use case'. 

Doing some more testing, I removed the File Datasource and the anonymous web data source and the SQL portion of my query DID pull back some data.  Need to continue looking at it, but wanted to give an update. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors