Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Flows: "Empty Table" query type --> data set does not return any records

I created a new Data Flow from the Enter Data / Emty Table option.

I copied in some data from Excel (DimDate Table). It is meant to be a static date lookup.

I validated the table in PBIS Data Flows --> the entity was created.

I connected to the Flow from my desktop PBI model, the table loads, but there is not data...

I looked at the Object Expansion for the Flow, I can see each level/layer being expanded, but when it gets to the final data elements/properties, they do no appear...

There is data (manually added) in the table.

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm not clear about your scenario.

Could you show more details for me to analyze better?

1. original data you enter to create a data flow

2. what steps do you apply in the data flow ( you could share the code in Advanced editor to let me kown)

3. what result it shows when connecting with Power BI Desktop?

4. "Object Expansion for the Flow", "final data elements/properties"

What do these mean?

Best Regards
Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

4. "Object Expansion for the Flow", "final data elements/properties"

What do these mean?

When you use M query to connect to a complex object (like json) that has nested objects, you use M query to transform and "expand" successive nested objects. Thew M query transforms these objects into new/additional objects that may also be complex/nested.

The query follows this process to give you a final record set.

I followed this process in this query, but the record set is [empty], even though i can see the records in the M query editor in Data Flows...

There is a bug. Please fix it. This is about the most basic use case available. Manually entering data to the tabular model from M...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Result is: "Table is Empty"

It is not empty, the data was added manually.

Anonymous
Not applicable

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [[THIS WAS A MASSIVR STRING THAT I REMOVED BECUAE OF THE CHARACTER LIMIT", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = (type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type table [#"Column 1" = _t, #"Column 2" = _t, #"Column 3" = _t, #"Column 4" = _t, #"Column 5" = _t, #"Column 6" = _t, #"Column 7" = _t, #"Column 8" = _t, #"Column 9" = _t, #"Column 10" = _t, #"Column 11" = _t, #"Column 12" = _t, #"Column 13" = _t, #"Column 14" = _t, #"Column 15" = _t, #"Column 16" = _t, #"Column 17" = _t, #"Column 18" = _t, #"Column 19" = _t, #"Column 20" = _t, #"Column 21" = _t]),
#"Promoted headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars = true]),
#"Changed column type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted headers", {{"DateKey", type number}, {"FullDate", type date}, {"DateName", type date}, {"DayOfWeek", type number}, {"DayNameOfWeek", type text}, {"DayOfMonth", type number}, {"DayOfYear", type number}, {"WeekdayWeekend", type text}, {"WeekOfYear", type number}, {"MonthName", type text}, {"MonthOfYear", type number}, {"IsLastDayOfMonth", type text}, {"CalendarQuarter", type number}, {"CalendarYear", type number}, {"CalendarYearMonth", type date}, {"CalendarYearQtr", type text}, {"FiscalMonthOfYear", type number}, {"FiscalQuarter", type number}, {"FiscalYear", type number}, {"FiscalYearMonth", type text}, {"FiscalYearQtr", type text}})
in
#"Changed column type"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors